We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring vet check date for ponies

new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Spring vet check date for ponies

Has the date been announced yet for the spring vet check?

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

Hi- Spring roundup is scheduled for April 10th & 11th. If you've never been here for it - it's a fun event! -Tina

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

Note from the CVFD: The boys were out on the beach today breaking up the ice so the ponies can drink. Even though it's been cold, the weather hasn't seemed to faze the ponies one bit. They take it all in stride and are probably happy right now not to be swatting flies. Pretty soon we'll bring them in for a complete look over during the spring round up which is April 10th-11th. See you all there!!

new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

Thanks! I have been before, I think, three years ago. Thanks to you, Tina! I happened to come across this forum while researching Assateague when you wrote a post about the vet checks. We had a great time. We stayed off-island ( a mistake, next time, even one night would be better then none). We arrived early on the Island and went to the corral about two hours before round-up. The weather was perfect, so a great day to wait. We stayed until sundown. The crowds had left by then. but we had a great time watching the ponies and talking to the locals and the salt water cowboys. A couple of young stallions had just been "kicked out" of the herd and were having a hard time understanding their place! There were two or three foals too, one just a day old. We are going to be in VA, but have to fly out of Washington the 12th, and still arranging our plans, but I thought I would check into this . I did look at the CVFD site and did not see it listed yet. That trip really was special. Assateague was ok, we enjoyed hiking the park and photographing the wild horses, but the CVFD pony round up was something that one doesn't get a chance to experience too often! We took a boat tour the day before and we learned a lot about the area too. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

On the other hand, I'm only 3 and a half hours away...what time were the checks? I seem to remember being there around 2? Thanks!

Highland Park, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

It is supposed to happen Friday, April 10 and Saturday, April 11. We will be there that week....if you have any suggestions, please post them!

Highland Park, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

Where is a good place to be to watch the action of the pony round up (Spring)? We will be there, will be staying at Best Western Plus and have bikes with us....it is our first time here. I'd like to see the round up on Friday.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

Hi- It's a little too soon for exact times - check the Fire Dept website (cvfc3.com) closer to the date - actually, the Facebook page is updated more often and will certainly have info on the roundup - Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Co. (https:/…129598427055278) - there are some great pictures there from the refuge yesterday - ponies getting a hay delivery in the snow.

Usually, the Southern herd is done on Friday in the afternoon and the Northern herd is Saturday morning - and it's on the refuge. A lot depends on weather!

Mentioned in this post
new york
Level Contributor
121 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

OK, Tina56, I'll be looking for updates. For those that were asking for suggestions...there is a corral that is used to hold the ponies on the refuge. I was there for the Friday afternoon roundup. The weather was sunny but cool, became even cooler as the sun set. I remember we waited for more than two hours before the ponies came into view. A few people brought lawn chairs, most just stood like we did for the wait. Many people were trying to get the best angle for photos. When the ponies are brought in, it happens so fast that I feel that your best bet is to just watch and enjoy the sight until the ponies are in the corral. There will be plenty of time to take photos then and get some easy close-ups. You will be able to talk to the salt-water cowboys and meet their horses. Pack some snacks for kids for the wait, keep your fingers crossed for good weather. If you haven't been to Chincoteague, the beaches are spectacular!

Mentioned in this post
Medford, NJ
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

When is Fall Roundup?

Thanks...Happy Trails.

Chincoteague Island
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring vet check date for ponies

Sorry - WAY, WAY too early for that. Look at the CVFD Facebook page sometime in September to get an idea of dates/times. From all the photos, it looks like the roundup this past weekend was a wonderful time for ponies and people both!