We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in September

Budapest
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in September

Hi,

We are planning to spend a few days towards the end of September in Los Canos de Meca as part of our 12 day holiday in Spain. We plan to stay at the Apartamentos Caños de Meca. I have two questions and I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on them:

- Is the place more quiet than in July/August? I have read the entries in the topic created by Diane and answered by (among others) Cadiz Lover and I understand that there are many hippies around during the peak season and some of them even sleep in tents on the beach and we would like to avoid this. Although we are young (29 and 31), we are looking for a peaceful beach where we can chill, as by then we would have done lots of driving and sightseeing (coming from Alicante by car, with a 2 night stop in Granada). The beach at Los Canos de Meca looks beautiful to us but we may consider looking for a more quiet place somewhere close by if the place is still busy with hippies. However, we do not want to drive too much further to the west either as we will need to drive back to Alicante without an overnight stop.

- Also, what is the weather like at that time of the year? Is is still warm enough to swim and sunbathe?

I am hoping that the end of September will be more quiet as it is not peak season any more but still warm enough for a summer break. I would appreciate if someone could reassure me or tell me the truth even if is not pleasant :-)

Many thanks,

Gábor

Mentioned in this post
Los Canos de Meca
Los Canos de Meca
Barbate, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Alicante
Alicante
Costa Blanca, Spain
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,737 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in September

Hi,

These sites may help re: weather:

Check out this site. In the middle of the page (History & Almanac) you can put in any date from 1996 and it will give you the weather on that given day/week/month

http://www.wunderground.com.

Weather2Travel.com is also good & can tell you humidity, hrs of sunshine etc.

& even tho you haven't asked, this may also be helpful:

…infonow.net/locator/…SearchPage.jsp locates atms for you.

Hopefully, someone else will also answer the other part of the question.

Regards

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,915 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in September

Weather at end Sept will be warm and you can certainly swim and sunbathe, I would mention, as you may have read before that along this coastline as far as cadiz and further , you can get some quite strong winds from time to time. These are called Levante and blow from the east. That is why the area at TARIFA is so popular with windsurfers and I guess that the average day could see some wind. Of course like anywhere you could find the weather during your stay absolutely perfect !

If you are heading back east and want a 'chill out' place with less noise, had you also looked at Bolonia? This beach (next to some amazing Roman ruins) has a few simple places to stay and is basically a ghost village during the winter months apart from visitors to Baelo Claudio and I would think by end of September would be very nice providing the sun was shining ! Have never stayed in Bolonia but somehow I always think of it as the sort of 'out of the way' place that you are possibly looking for. However Canos de Meca will have a good atmosphere also and there are miles of coastline to walk and rest nearby. And Vejer town is always interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Budapest
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in September

Many thanks to both of you for your help. I hope we will have good weather.

Cadiz Lover, Thanks very much for the tip regarding Bolonia. As you say it might be exactly what we are looking for! There is very little information about this place on the web, but the www.andalusia.com website proved to be very helpful to locate the beach on the map. They refer to the village of El Lentiscal, however, Google Maps could not find this village! So it took me a while to locate the beach but i think I finally found it. On Google Maps it is called El Santiscal and the road leading to the village is marked CA 8202 whereas Andalusia.com mentions CAP 2216.

Even from the satellite view the colour of the sand and the ocean looks amazing and the only review of the beach available on this website also confirms this.

So thanks very much again for the tip, I will have a look at the available accommodation now and if we decide that we are going there, I will tell you about our experience once we are back.

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
cadiz
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in September

Hello I would suggest you to go to Zahara de los Atunes, I think it is more beautiful, I can offer you my apartament free from 23th September price 300 euros week. You can see it on: http://www.zahara.iowners.net/site.php.

best regards, Begoña

5. Re: Holiday in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 02:20
Get answers to your questions about Los Canos de Meca