We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

US
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

Dear Cadiz Lover,

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful information your provide in these forums. I have found much of it helpful and all of it interesting.

I am planning to travel to Costa Luz in the end of July 2007 with my husband and three children ages 15 and 20 year old twins. They are all fascinated travelers and all of us love the sea. I have been looking at various towns and accommodations and became interested in Los Canos de Meca. But I think the reviews I read were not of the town in mid summer. Can you tell me much about Los Canos?

There is one review of the Hotel Madreselva on Tripadvisor that basically describes the town in summer as not very attractive, clogged with traffic, and filled with drunken pot smoking twenty year olds who sleep on the dirty beaches. This is in pretty stark contrast to other reviews which glowed with descriptions of beautiful stretches of pristine beach, little coves, a friendly kind of bohemian town where you could eat, listen to music and socialize on the beach each evening. And an area that still attracted more local visitors than foreign tourists. Could the two be so different because of seasons? Since we are going in mid-summer, we would have to pay attention to what the town is like at that time of year.

We were interested in the Madreselva because it seems to be right on the beach, but maybe not so interested in the 24 hour party, and definately not some of the rest of the negative review. I had also considered staying in Vejer, which seems lovely, but if the beach traffic is heavy in the summer it may be difficult to spend time exploring the coast, or just running down to the beach, from there. The last thing is that I just noticed lodgings called Hacienda Sajorami, which seems from its map to be closer to Zahora than to Los Canos. It is supposed to be on the beach, but I haven't found much information about it so I wondered whether you have seen it .

I would be grateful for any opinions or advice you have the time to give.

Thanks very much,

Diane

IF THERE ARE OTHERS FAMILIAR WITH THIS AREA, WHO HAVE COMMENTS, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THEM AS WELL!

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Luz
Luz
Faro District, Portugal
Los Canos de Meca
Los Canos de Meca
Barbate, Spain
Hotel Madreselva
Hotel Madreselva
181 Reviews
Los Canos de Meca, Spain
Hacienda Sajorami
Hacienda Sajorami
32 Reviews
Zahora, Spain
Zahora
Zahora
Barbate, Spain
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,988 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

Diane - I think Los Canos can be a magnet for 'beach bums' and shall we say 'travellers' but maybe not your sort of 'traveller' during the peak summer months. Maybe it's the pull of the lighthouse - or perhaps a mermaid is lurking on the rocks? There are some nice beaches close by that will not be so busy as the principal activities of the crowd that is nearer the road leading down to the lighthouse and the beach.

I have been down to the beach that is a bit more difficult to find but is directly south of the Los Canos main street and reached down steps.

Also the almost endless beach that stretches north from Cape Trafalgar past Zahora. There is plenty of space along this coastline and I would think in high summer must be very good if you love sandy beaches that do not shelve too steeply. The big question is accomodation ! This part of the coast is dotted with places that are only open during the summer months of course and it would be worth attempting to find a suitable 'home' but I have never stayed so I really hope you find someone who has ! Have you considered renting a villa? There are many private holiday homes in this area. Many of them are accessed to the beach down sandy lanes, and of course rentals are going to be high in July/August. Certainly Zahora and perhaps El Palmar may be appealing for a real summer sunshine beach holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Trafalgar
Trafalgar
226 Reviews
Los Canos de Meca, Spain
Zahora
Zahora
Barbate, Spain
US
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

Thank you SO much for the reply. Fortunately, the error message I received last night disappeared and I was able to find this thread again, so please disregard the panicked note I sent you on the Cadiz forum! I hope it didn't cause you to take more time to repeat this extremely helpful feedback.

I suspected that the summer report regarding the town rang true based on my experience with beach towns elsewhere. It's good to hear that beautiful, not too crowded, beaches are still to be found even in the high season. I am keeping my eyes opened for near-beach accomodations.

Since we are also town-wanderers and had planned to spend time in Vejer, I am also thinking about staying there and driving to the beach as well as possibly to some of the other surrounding areas such as the reserves or off to see whales. We get lazy near a sea breeze, but you never know...if its cool enough there could even be some trail bicycling (maybe everyone else during my siesta!).

The real question in that case would be whether local traffic along the beach roads stands still in the summer, as it does near many of our own beach towns. If you've been stuck in it, please send warning.

It is very kind of you to share your knowledge of the area with the rest of us!

Best,

Diane

Mentioned in this post
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

I've spent many a summer in Los Canos de Meca and I have to say, the beach bum/pot smoker assement is accurate, but its also true as I think Cadiz Lover indicated that it is possible to be there and enjoy the beach without the feeling of having everyone else on top of you or stoned out of their minds.

I personally really enjoy Zahora and Sajorami is right on the beach, so if you like it and the price is right, go for it. I found it to be a bit expensive particularly the restaurant (80 euros for a three people, a seafood meal and two pitchers of Sangria) but they do have a nice place and the beach is sublime. Further on towards the Faro de Trafalgar the beach becomes clothing optional, this is also the case with the beach down from the town proper, where you can actually see the "canos" , lots of nude sunbathing.

You do smell hash quite a bit around there but its fairly laid back, the town is also spread out enough to where you don't really hear all that much in terms of the all night partiers. If you want something more family style why not think about El Palmar, which is between los Canos and Conil de la Frontera? Staying in Vejer and commuting is also not a bad idea, as the village is wonderful, but sometimes parking can be tricky.

All in all I think Canos is a great destination, certainly no longer a well kept secret as it used to be, but still largely ignored by foreign tourists and more the preffered beach of Madrilenos and Sevillanos....Zahara de los Atunes is another great choice if you wanted to continue exploring possibilities...

Mentioned in this post
Los Canos de Meca
Los Canos de Meca
Barbate, Spain
Cadiz
Cadiz
Costa de la Luz, Spain
Zahora
Zahora
Barbate, Spain
Sajorami
Sajorami
460 Reviews
Zahora, Spain
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Trafalgar
Trafalgar
226 Reviews
Los Canos de Meca, Spain
Conil de la Frontera
Conil de la Frontera
Costa de la Luz, Spain
US
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

Dear Chano,

Thank you so much, I will check on the prices at Sajorami. There are 5 of us and I think the houses might be a better value than rooms elsewhere when added up. That also means that some of our meals can be at the house.

I will definitely look into your other suggestions. My two older kids are in college and none of us are very sheltered so wafting aromas and nudists would not be a problem--as long as I don't don't personally have to burn areas that have never seen sun before, the rest of the family can even make their own decisions! (It is fun to swim in the ocean without the bathing suit--although I'm not sure how Papi would feel about that). My older daughter loves waterfalls so I think we would at least visit that end of the beach.

I had not thought of parking issues, because I was so concerned about being stalled in traffic along the beaches!

Thank you for all of the information. A great help!

Best,

Diane

Mentioned in this post
Sajorami
Sajorami
460 Reviews
Zahora, Spain
US
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

Forgot one more thing--if that's possible. Does it get very hot in Vejer in July, or is it close enough to the coast to benefit from the sea breeze? If we do stay there, one place that would fit us for a reasonable price and looks lovely says that its thick walls make a/c unnecessary, but if it is 35-40 degrees I'm not sure a wall of any thickness would help--but you never know...

Regarding more family style places, they seem often to so cater to EVERYONE's needs that they become very similar. While drunk, stoned and crowded may not be attractive, we always hope to experience places that are different from home or generally unique. But I will definitely look into El Palmar and Zahara de los Atunes, especially if I come upon lodging there.

Thanks again,

Diane

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

Hi Diane,

myself and my wife and two daughters (13 and 14) were in Los Canos last June; there were a lot of hippies on the road down to the lighthouse, but that is all. I gather that it is quieter in June than July however. We rented one of the "CASAS DEL ATRAPASUEÑOS", which are situated in a quiet location on the western edge of the village, about fifteen minutes walk from the centre of the town, and about ten from the nearest beach. We found them excellent, but might be a bit cramped for five people. I can't see that howver hectic the centre of the village gets that it ever would get noisy there. If you go to the Los Canos section of

http://www.spain-holiday.com/

you will find contact details for them.

Los Canos de Meca is not the prettiest village in Spain, but the beaches are spectacular. It is lucky you don't object to naked people, as you are liable to see them there on any beach, although some sections are more nude than others. We certainly never came across any "goings on". My wife and myself are hoping to get back there by ourselves next July, and I certainly can't wait.

Vejer is a beautiful town, but be prepared to walk up and down a lot of hills!

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Los Canos de Meca
Los Canos de Meca
Barbate, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
US
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for the information. It helps fill in a more accurate picture that I am getting about a lovely area. The Casas you mention are the first place I inquired about, but they only let 4 people stay and are pretty adamant about this.

We are still attracted to Vejer because of the evening street-and-plaza-wandering possibilities, but continue to peruse the seaside possibilities, including Hacienda Sajorami in Zahora if I can reach them.

Not sure if you want to see other people when off on your own without the kids, but if you do want to meet for a quick espresso or cold beverage let us know when you will be in the area in July!

Best,

Diane

Mentioned in this post
Hacienda Sajorami
Hacienda Sajorami
32 Reviews
Zahora, Spain
Zahora
Zahora
Barbate, Spain
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

Diane,

probably the second week of July, but we haven't booked anything yet.

Drop me an email at pauljw11@yahoo.co.uk when you have a moment.

Paul

Napoli
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

I was 2 times (in August) to Los Canos de Meca and I think that it is a wondrful place but not indicated for family with childreen, in fact Los Canos in August is predominantly attended by hippies with free way of thinking (clothing optional and free camping on the beach).............. In any way Los Canos is fashinating for this reason

Mentioned in this post
Los Canos de Meca
Los Canos de Meca
Barbate, Spain
Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
274 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for Cadiz Lover or Los Canos visitors

Vejer would be a good option esp considering the ages of you 'children'. Although it is fairly hot, the place has been designed with heat in mind. Tall buildings and narrow streets affording plenty of shade.

There are also buses from Vejer to the beaches if you want to give them more independence. It just depends if you had intended to spend every day at the beach!

You could also consider Tarifa as I'm sure your children are old enough to enjoy kite surfing and other water sports.

I've only stayed in a few places on the C de la L as I have a place of my own just beyond Gib on the C del S.

In Vejer I can recommend

http://www.lacasadelcalifa.com/

mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/…

I've always liked the look of this place too!

http://www.house-in-vejer.com/

In Tarifa

http://www.hurricanehotel.com/pages/rooms.htm

mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/…

Also these sites are useful:

http://www.vejer.com/

http://www.tarifa.net/

I'm sure you'll have a great time - whatever you decide

Mentioned in this post
Tarifa
Tarifa
Costa de la Luz, Spain