We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Blanket Trip

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
41 reviews
Thomson Blanket Trip

Hi

Has anybody ever purchased a mattress from one of Thomsons free Blanket trips from Palma Nova, if so was the product good or bad?

Many Thanks.

Tony.

97 replies to this topic
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

Why in gods name would you buy a matress when on holiday 😆

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

I remember this coming up before and I didn't even know it was a Thing. You get taken to a blanket factory (Merino Wool) as part of an outing - like the ones to ceramics factories. I checked it out online. Lots of people warn against ordering a big ticket item like a mattress (they deliver to the UK) because after sales service is poor. People enjoy these trips so fair enough (one man's meat etc) but I'd rather buy a mattress at home. If you do buy stuff like this perhaps use your credit card to get some consumer protection. And before making a decision - sleep on it first heheh.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
330 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

People tend to go on these trips coz there free well nothing's ever free! When we were in Palma nova, everyday just going in dining room pester pester pester to go on trip, I agree with trinet, who goes on holiday to buy a mattress? I spoke to quite a few people and they said it was 2 hours of hard sell and a complete waste of holiday time. Personally I don't go in any shops on holiday can't see the point any presents for family I treat them before I go away and again when I come back ide rather be out in the sunshine and chilling out.

tyne & wear
Level Contributor
541 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

Agree with not buying a bed on holiday but technically your whole holiday is a shop :)

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

People are free to do what they like on Holiday, I simply wanted to hear of people's personal experience of buying on these Blanket trips, so if anybody has an Actual experience and not just an opinion of what one should or shouldn't do on THEIR holiday I would still be interested in your story.

Many Thanks.

Tony

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,767 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

There used to be a firm called PAL who did these trips .

I went on some and found there was never any high pressure selling although some people did buy , which of course paid for the trip for everyone else.

I did speak to two couples who had previously bought the matress and said they were very happy with it.

Apparently they paid nothing at all until after it had been delivered to their home in the UK and they had tried it out to their satisfaction so the financial risk was small.

Now I am not sure whether this is the same firm that organise through Thomsons .

I have never bought but have enjoyed the free trip ----- which is free --- even though one gets fed up with listening to the sales patter.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

Thanks grahamwitton that was all I was interested in hearing.

We too have attended a few Blanket trips and had the same experience as you did. Some people did purchase and it was those people I was hoping to hear from as I always wondered how satisfied they were with the products?

The company Thomsons are linked with are European health, whether they have any connection to Pals I have no idea. The main difference I noted was in previous years holiday companies always stated these trips were independent from them but this year Thomsons were putting their name on it.

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
103 reviews
8. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

This is a place for opinions so, like it or not, that's what you'll get (and hopefully some advice) when you pose a question on a TA forum. You're very welcome to do the same thing. Opinions and advice found here have been incredibly helpful to fellow travellers - warnings about scams/folding companies/poor practice as well as cheerful stuff like where to get the best paella and buy an inflatable crocodile.

There are lots of warnings online - just google it yourself - about the disadvantages of buying these mattresses while on holiday. I offer that for anyone else who might benefit.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

Quite, much like the trips to the silk carpet factories in turkey. It's an interesting trip as well, then at the end comes the hard sell. We did go on a few of those ourselves, an found that one couple were sold a carpet! Then, next week, they turned up on another trip, listened again like they'd never heard it before and "bought" another! Raki all round and then the penny drops...they're a plant.

Not everyone "buying" at these things are actually genuinely buying. They're sometimes paid to be there, to give the rest of the party confidence to do the same.

It is an advice forum like you say, and best to be well informed before parting with lots of money/time. Treat it like it is, a free trip out.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,767 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Thomson Blanket Trip

I must say that I don`t think I would personally buy one like that . Rather wait till I got home .

As I said there is NO hard selling and no one was forced or even coerced into making a purchase .

However there must be plenty of people who do buy , enough to make the whole trip financially viable or they wouldn`t happen..

Reply to: Thomson Blanket Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palmanova
Recent Conversations