We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September Weather

Childers, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
September Weather

My husband and I are travelling to the Bay of Islands on 23 September. We will be travelling around the area for about a week by car. Any tips on what to expect in terms of weather and what type of clothing we should pack? I have been looking at the forecast but it’s often hard to get a grasp on what it will actually be like until you arrive. Will long coats and boots be overkill? Also, this is our baby moon so we won’t be spending a heap of time outdoors, hiking, etc. We are also from Queensland so we are used to warmer weather. Thanks in advance :)

2 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: September Weather

Hi Kim,

Long coats and boots will be too warm. Temps have been hovering around the 18 - 19C in the Bay of Islands this past week. I have a home in Northland and always by mid September I know that we have turned the corner by this time of year. Spring flowers have finished blooming and early summer flowers come into the picture. Too cold for a beach swim as yet.

I saw your temps on local TV yesterday. Decidedly warm in Queensland, compared to Rarotonga where I am at present and also for my NZ home in the north.

Bring a warm jacket for the outdoors, and wear layers. Jeans and long trousers along with a cotton t-shirt or long-sleeved shirt. Walking or running shoes and socks. Nothing too heavy for the sub-tropical climate in the north of NZ.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,120 posts
451 reviews
2. Re: September Weather

Definitely too hot for boots & coats now that spring has come although I did smile to see a young woman in knee high boots, leggings, woollen dress & coat in sunny Akaroa today where I was cursing my decision to wear jeans.

Just like QLD, you need to prepared for rain in NZ in spring.

Edited: 15 September 2018, 08:34
Reply to: September Weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands