We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! vacation in auckland and bays of island?

Lahore, Pakistan
8 posts
Save Topic
HELP! vacation in auckland and bays of island?

Im planning to visit new zealand for about a week in last week of may-first week of june. Is this the right time to visit weather wise? We would prefer sunny days but not too hot with windy feel. We are a couple and want to do a bit of everything. Visit sights, shopping, good restaurants and maybe sky diving and a few beach activities. Does auckland provide a good city life since we are not the trekking, hiking type! We were thinking of spending 4 days in Auckland and about 3 in bays of island. Is that a good idea? Also, how come there are no resorts near the islands? Can someone recommend a good 5 star resort in bays of island? Eagles nest is way out of reach and we are just two people. We are traveling half the world to come to new zealand. Is it worth it or no?

Also this is our first trip post baby so we could really use a break and i just want it to be perfect but not boring! We are not on a tight budget and can afford to spend. Infact what is the cheapest rate in eagles nest?

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Eagles Nest
Eagles Nest
149 Reviews
Russell, New Zealand
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,043 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! vacation in auckland and bays of island?

Hi Rafia,

The weather during late May - early June for the northern half of the North Island heralds the start of winter. If you are wanting sunny days, with little wind, you may be fortunate to enjoy one good day, but not 7 days in a row at this time of year.

Also, it won't be beach weather at this time of year. Maybe nice for a stroll, kayaking, or sailing but not pleasantly warm for swimming. Rather than set your sights on good beach weather, if your plan is to visit the North Island still, I recommend you reduce your stay in Auckland to 2 nights maximum. You can explore the city, do some shopping, enjoy dining out and sample a little nite-life in the CBD.

Next visit the Bay of Islands for 2 nights to do a half-day bay cruise to the Hole in the Rock, or a dolphin-watch cruise instead. Stay 2 nights in this region. I suggest you use Intercity coachlines or take a Great Sights tour to the Bay of Islands. If you are also keen on reaching Cape Reinga, there are day-tours from Paihia which is the hub of tourism for the Bay of Islands. May need another night in Auckland again on the return journey.

Rotorua and Taupo which are part of the thermal region are worthy of 2+ nights. Problem will be how to fit a visit to this region into your existing itinerary? One way is to again take a Great Sights tour from Auckland to Rotorua. Perhaps via the Waitomo Caves, then on to Rotorua. Flying to Auckland airport from Rotorua city will be quickest. Or forgo the Bay of Islands (since it's not a good time of year for the beach) and just visit Auckland and the thermal region (Rotorua and Taupo) only this visit.

Nice hotels around the Viaduct harbour in Auckland, and elsewhere in the CBD. A range of hotels, including luxury lodges, in the Rotorua and Taupo areas.

Mentioned in this post
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Northland Region, New Zealand
Paihia
Paihia
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Taupo District, New Zealand
Viaduct Harbour
Viaduct Harbour
3,025 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Lahore, Pakistan
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! vacation in auckland and bays of island?

Hello,

Thank you so much for your response! It was very helpful. Just some more information. Its not necessary for me to visit auckland and the bays of island. I just heard the most about these two places which is why i decided to visit them. If you were to plan destinations to be seen in New Zealand within a time span of 7 nights, 8 days what would you recommend? Would you recommend going towards the southern side instead? Please bear in mind that we are not into very strenuous physical activity. A little bit of snorkeling/scuba diving/water sports/sky diving is fine but thats about it. My geography is not very good (embarrassed smile) so I'm not sure at all of which location is where and i don't know if the route I'm making is the most practical one. I do want to visit the waitomo caves for sure! But apart from that i don't know anything about new zealand! What is rotorua? And why do they recommend queens town? For someone who prefers city life mixed with a bit of beautiful sight seeing and adventurous activity, which areas of new zealand would you recommend? Please tell me which areas to visit, i would love a locals perspective! Thank you and sorry for the trouble!

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,043 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! vacation in auckland and bays of island?

Given your outdoor interests, and wish to visit cities combined with adventure and sightseeing, I suggest you either fly to Queenstown once you reach Auckland, stay in this town for most of your time, and explore from there. Do the day-trip to Milford Sound by coach from Queenstown. Visit Wanaka (couple of nights) for skydiving and more adventures. Fly back to Auckland from Queenstown. Or reduce your stay in both towns and drive to Christchurch airport with a night at Mt Cook en route, and perhaps in Christchurch city also.

Alternatively, spend a couple of nights in Auckland then drive a loop tour of the Waitomo Caves, Taupo (sky diving), then Rotorua city followed by Hahei on the Coromandel for snorkelling in the marine reserve. It would be easier to hire a car to visit these places. Rotorua offers evening Maori cultural performances with dinner combined. Attractions include mud-pools, thermal activity, spa and thermal batheing, Maori arts and crafts, lakes and rivers.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 02:14
Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,715 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Wanaka
Wanaka
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Rotorua
Rotorua
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,468 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! vacation in auckland and bays of island?

New Zealand is not a place you visit for city life ;-)

While Auckland does hold about 1/3 of the entire population of NZ it is still only 1.4 mill. If you want cities go to Europe or Asia or North America.

The main reasons people visit NZ apart from the famous adventure activities are the spectacular scenery of mountains, lakes etc; interesting marine wildlife such as penguins; thermal activity around Rotorua/Taupo and unique Maori culture.

Your visit will be at the start of winter so beach and water activities will be proscribed by the weather. Surprisingly, the southern part of the South Island is popular in winter because the mountains look so beautiful when covered in snow. There are several very upmarket resorts near Queenstown.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Auckland
Auckland
Rotorua
Rotorua
Taupo
Taupo
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! vacation in auckland and bays of island?

Hi, Visiting to the bay of islands May/June is probably going to be cooler weather as we are heading into winter. At the present time we are still having summer days only a bit cooler in the morning and night. I would be in favour of your week here that you maybe visit Auckland and the Bay of Islands. There are plenty of activities in the Auckland area. Bay of Islands however will be a lot slower as Paihia or Russell are both small towns. There are many thing to see and do in the immediate area which are very scenic and beautiful. There will be tours running and winter specials come into force on Monday 28 April. I would suggest you have a look at Paihia Beach Resort and Spa which is a 5 star resort. Website is www.paihiabeach.co.nz Happy travels. Regards Sue

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Northland Region, New Zealand
Paihia
Paihia
Russell
Russell
Paihia Beach Resort & Spa
Paihia Beach Resort & Spa
296 Reviews
Paihia, New Zealand
6. Re: HELP! vacation in auckland and bays of island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands