We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to spend 1-2 days in the Bay of Islands and have a couple of questions:

1. Would 1-2 days be enough time to have a good overview of this site?

2. What are the most scenic day hikes around this region?

Thanks for your help :)

Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

Hi, I think if you are just wanting to walk around and take in the immediate area 1 - 2 days is probably long enough. You have a few walks around Paihia which are Waitangi to Haruru Falls through the Mangroves 1.5 Hours 1 Way. Paihia to Opua Coastal Walk is 2 Hours 1 Way. Paihia to Opua Forest Lookout Track - 30 Minutes 1 Way. Paihia to Opua Oromahoe Road traverse which is Bush and Opua Forest 2.5 Hour 1 Way. There is also a Full Circle Day Walk Paihia to Opua where you get the Car Ferry ($1.00 per person) to Okiato where there is a full track walk into Russell and then you can get the Passenger Ferry back to Paihia ($7.00 per person) and is a twenty minute ride. Other than these there are a few DOC Tracks but they have not got immediate access from Paihia, more Russell and Kerikeri. I hope this is of help. Regards Sue

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

If you have good fitness, and want to see some breath-taking coastal scenery, consider the Cape Brett walkway which is a full day hike - http://capebrett.co.nz/cape-brett-walkway/

Take the car-ferry over to the Russell side and set off from Rawhiti for this trail.

2 days will allow sufficient time for an overview of the area. If you can make your stay longer, you will have more time to explore the wider BOI area including a marine experience (half-day or full day), visit Waitangi Treaty Grounds, Russell township and do a day-hike. Kerikeri is well worth-while with its inlet setting, sense of history and a pleasant short walk to Rainbow falls.

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

In addition to the above, which are excellent suggestions, the Bay Of Islands also has a lot of historical attractions. There is the Pompallier Mission at Russell, the Kerikeri Mission, Stone Store, and a short walk up to Rainbow Falls at Kerikeri, the Waitangi Treaty House just west of Paihia, and Russell - then Kororareka - was the first capital of the country after European settlement. As it was - perhaps deservedly - known as "the hell-hole of the Pacific" at that time, William Hobson moved the capital briefly to Okaiato, then south to Auckland. From 1865 the capital has been Wellington.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

Thanks for your replies guys. Very helpful!

Small correction: I'll spend 2 full days in the Bay of Islands.

I'm considering doing the Cape Brett (one way) and have additional questions.

1. Where should I leave my car? (I'll be driving from Whangarei in the morning.)

2. Can I take a boat from the end of the track back to my starting point? Should I book a ticket in advance?

Thanks again :)

Edited: 14 October 2014, 22:01
Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

Hi, You would need to leave your car at a Safe House which are Sign Posted on the way to the Track at Rawhiti. There is a cost for this. To get back to your vehicle by Boat you would need to take a Water Taxi. Email Details taxi@diveops.co.nz and Website www.diveops.co.nz I would be inclined to Book your walk through DOC site and also book your return Boat in Advance. Regards Sue

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

"There is also a Full Circle Day Walk Paihia to Opua where you get the Car Ferry ($1.00 per person) to Okiato where there is a full track walk into Russell and then you can get the Passenger Ferry back to Paihia ($7.00 per person) and is a twenty minute ride."

Can I have more information about this walk? I can't find a map or something.

What company should I book the car ferry with?

Is it this one here: newzealand.com/uk/…

Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

Here are some better links for the walk:

www.boiwalkways.co.nz/mambo/index.php…

northlandnz.com/images/uploads/pdf/Full_Circ…

boiwalkways.co.nz/mambo/…20final_A4.pdf

No need to prebook ferry.

Edited: 22 October 2014, 00:21
Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

Hi, The car ferry goes every 10 minutes during the day starting from Opua at 6.50am. As you have been informed you do not need to prebook. Just get into the ferry lane and board the car ferry which costs $11.00 for the Car and Driver and $1.00 per Adult Passenger 1 way. You do need CASH though to pay on the ferry. Regards Sue

9. Re: Bay of Islands in 1-2 days - Best scenic walks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2015, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands