We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
235 posts
66 reviews
Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

We will be coming from Seaside, OR, (after a week's travelling)on #101 then east on #8,___?___, taking the 3:00pm ferry from Bremerton to Seattle (need to be there by 2:15), revisiting Pike Place Market, then returning to our hotel on Internatioanl Blvd. before flying out the next day. We've been in this area a few times before and loved coming down #101 on the Hood Canal, but it was getting dark and we missed out on most of it. With one day to do the above route, is it possible to go back up the Canal on #101, or is it equally scenic and significantly faster to take #106/#3 up the east fork of the Canal to Bremerton? (We weren't planning to do any museum stops.)

Can anyone offer a time difference between the two routes?!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

FYI the Olympia forum is probably too focused for this question. More appropriate in the Olympic National Park forum or the Washington general forum. Most of the regulars read the whole state, but just FYI.

Google or Mapquest will give you good time estimates.

How much time do you really have? When is your trip? Sunset in August is 8:30ish.

The full drive up the canal is certainly the more scenic option, but it will take quite a while. Also you'll want to go to the Bainbridge Ferry, not Bremerton, if you choose this route.

Going through Union and Belfair is also lovely, if less remote feeling. You could also "drive around" on the Tacoma Narrows with this route.

Taking the shortcut, you will miss out on the true "hood canal experience".

Have fun either way,

chuck.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
788 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

I would not take the Bremerton ferry. It's a long ride. You could drive a little further north and take the Bainbridge ferry instead. It's about a 20 min crossing.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

My feeling is that that's not quite accurate. Coming from the south I would take the Bremerton Ferry to Seattle.

Sincerely,

chuck

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,583 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

It's is 60 vs. 35 minute crossing times.

I still think I'd take the Bremerton when coming from the south.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,029 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

From the south, I'd take the Bremerton Ferry. A long ride? I'd rather have that beautiful hour on the water than drive to Bainbridge Island unless I wanted to visit the latter.

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
235 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

Pala32, I will pose this question on the Olympic N/P forum. (Originally, we were going a different itinerary where we would have been crossing to your Port Townsend.)

Do I understand you, then, that the east canal would be as scenic as the west leg, but more built up?

If we did go up the west side, what is a reasonable route to get back to the ferry?

(I use Yahoo mapping all the time, but for this I had issues about knowing which route to take for best scenery and least congestion. We could easily come up I-5 but thought the ferry ride would be more interesting, having taken the ferries a couple of other times from different ports.)

Tacoma
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

Another vote for the Bremerton ferry. It's longer, but more scenic.

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
235 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

Okay, my husband and I talked over the time and distance and, with all the votes for Bremerton (the scenic crossing being our first reason for not going up I-5), we've decided on going through Union and Belfair to Bremerton.

Now, do any of you have some special pullouts or parks with nice photo ops along that route that we should watch for?

9. Re: Hood Canal: #101 versus #106/#3 to Bremerton ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Olympia