We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympia, WA to Port Angeles,WA drive time

Jacksonville...
4 posts
Save Topic
Olympia, WA to Port Angeles,WA drive time

Can someone tell me how long this drive takes ? We have ferry reservations {to Victoria, BC} at 12:45pm and I wonder what time to leave our Olympia hotel. We plan to drive straight to the port, with no stops at Olympic National Park for sightseeing or hikes.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Olympia
Olympia
Washington
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympia, WA to Port Angeles,WA drive time

Driving out to Shelton and then up 101, I'd estimate a three hour drive time. You need to get to the ferry early, plus allow for unforeseen events, so I'd leave Olympia by 7 30 or 8.

Mentioned in this post
Olympia
Olympia
Washington
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,012 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympia, WA to Port Angeles,WA drive time

Google Maps agrees with ainwa; or is it that ainwa agrees with Google Maps? :)

Worth learning to use GM.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympia, WA to Port Angeles,WA drive time

I think the map agrees with me, since I did not consult it!

I find the map times given are often optimistic, especially on national park or mountain roads.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympia, WA to Port Angeles,WA drive time

If you are taking the car ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, they begin lining up about two hours or more in advance. If you are taking the Victoria Express passenger ferry, you will need to be there only an hour early.

Add extra time if you are making this trip on a weekend or holiday. The roads are narrow and crooked in some areas.

Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,012 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympia, WA to Port Angeles,WA drive time

Ainwa, I hope you understood, "Worth learning to use GM." was directed at the OP, if they don't use GM, not at you. And I agree that the times can be optimistic especially when it's not freeway driving. The times might not account realistically for traffic flow, rest stops, road types, etc.

Kaleberg reported in another post that the Victoria Express is no longer in service for that route. Merged with Black Ball... http://www.cohoferry.com/main/

Given driving times and comments from ainwa plus Kitters' comments, I think I'd leave earlier, perhaps 6:00 or 6:30 and make tracks.

Edited: 28 May 2011, 14:15
Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympia, WA to Port Angeles,WA drive time

I understood your intent so no worries!

Yes, if they line up two hours in advance I'd leave earlier. I was figuring one hour.

7. Re: Olympia, WA to Port Angeles,WA drive time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Olympia