We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO Listing 763402

Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO Listing 763402

Anyone know anything about this listing https://www.vrbo.com/763402? There are no reviews, and the price seems very low. Seems almost too good to be true!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

Not familiar with this specific rental but please read the recent thread about staying in Pahoa - as it is NOT in the area that most tourist stay - thus the lower price.

Mentioned in this post
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

Thanks. We do understand it's a more rural area, which is what we are looking for. I see many pahoa rentals going for much more.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

Puna Palisades is an upscale subdivision of well built homes, and it and Kehena are the prime locations for gay communities and tourism on the Big Island, situated adjacent to the gay, New Age, and/or hippy vibes of Kehena beach and Kalani Honua Retreat.

If you identify with these subcultures you will feel like you belong, but if you don't you may feel

like the proverbial fish out of water.

Kehena beach is dangerous swimming and people drown there every year. It's a nude (optional) beach and is good for sunbathing, yoga, and has a Rasta drum circle every Sunday. Search it on Youtube.

Kehena has a vibe that is very distinct from other Puna coastal areas such as Hawaiian Paradise Park, Kapoho, Hawaiian Beaches. Puna has a variety of enclaves with varying personalities, so it's good to do some reading before pulling the trigger. Get the name of the subdivision and google search it.

The rental house looks great but the area is too remote for exploring the whole island.

Mentioned in this post
Kalani
Kalani
234 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

That sounds good, thank you kamaainak! It sounds like an area we would enjoy, being "old hippies" ourselves. I will do some more research. Note that we would only spend one week here, then move over to the kona side for a week. We're looking for peaceful relaxation on this side, so seems like it would fit the bill.

Edited: 10 January 2017, 06:57
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

well, I am an old original flower child era hippy, and I don't care for the so-called hippy scene there. It's not the same. The "old hippies" who are authentic are spread around, not specifically Kehena or for that matter Puna.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,266 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

One reason it is so cheap is that you look at a lot of ocean that it is not safe to swim in. That would drive me nuts.

The ponds touted for snorkeling and swimming can have some serious health/ hygiene issues so search the forum for those topics "Kapoho" and Ahalanui." I would not go in them.

Is it on catchment water? Look that up.

That said, the same flaws are found all over that area...the house looks lovely. But I sure would not have built it there because one of my main reasons for going to the island is to go in the water every day. :)

Mentioned in this post
Ahalanui Park
Ahalanui Park
345 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

If I was renting a house on the Olympic Peninsula or Nova Scotia or something and wanted to cozy up with books, wine, and great, moody ocean views, I would probably think that was super cool. But if you have any interest in traditional Hawaii ocean activities, topical beaches, etc., it's not a good choice.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

Yes, it is all catchment water there; of course Volcano area is also catchment, and that's almost never mentioned for some reason.

I almost bought a house in Puna Palisades back in '07. It's the only high end housing in the area. It's also Lava Zone 2 ... not an issue for visitors. The land is cheaper so the cost of a home is less, which is reflected (or should be) in the rental price. The land is cheap because it's Lava Zone 2, but PP has paved streets and CC&Rs. The air quality is great. It's just very remote.

SW Virginia
Level Contributor
296 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

That rental is in the same area as the one we stayed at last May:

https://www.vrbo.com/257132

You can see the place we stayed off in the distance in one of the pictures of the ocean view.

I loved the area and I think I remember seeing the one you are considering as we drove down the Red Road. It looks very Zen! Love the outdoor shower.

If you go be sure to visit Kehena Beach. It's a black sand clothing optional beach which is fun to visit. I was not uncomfortable at all there. The day I was there the waves were pretty small so I had no problems swimming.

SW Virginia
Level Contributor
296 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VRBO Listing 763402

ps here's the same listing on Airbnb:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7859001

plenty of reviews there!

Get answers to your questions about Pahoa
;