We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Michigan
Level Contributor
45 posts
304 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

OK, we are heading over to this side of the island for the lava flow viewing. I have to ask about the weight limits because I'm 300# and 6'4" and seen they had weight restrictions on the boats. So, it might be bicycle and hiking to get into this.

First- where would a family of four stay without getting taken. Second- can someone name a bicycle rental place for the lava trip.

Last- Is it even worth it? We are staying over in Kona for 7 days before checking this out.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
3 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,892 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

If you can give a budget per night, that would help the posters make suggestions for you.

Also, are you familiar with VRBO at all? I wouldn't necessarily rent through them (added fees now), but I like it for researching places. You can use the filters, how many bedrooms, and your specific dates. That helps with the list. At least then, you would get an idea of what is out there, and the price points.

Whether it is worth it or not is pretty subjective. We have always enjoyed our time in the National Park there. We have always stayed in Volcano Village though.

Mentioned in this post
Volcano Village Lodge
Volcano Village Lodge
735 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Visiting Volcanoes National Park is absolutely worth it and the best base for doing that is in Volcano. Spend two nights there and cover the park highlights, including the night glow of Halemaumau crater from the overlook at Jaggar Museum. There's a lot more to VNP than "just" the ocean entry lava flow and whether or not that will viewable in a day or week, no one can say. The USGS daily update notes the potential right now of a delta collapse into the sea. So don't go over with your hopes pinned solely on that. Take advantage of the overall experience and opportunities.

Btw, lava boat tours are generally discouraged here based on the safety issues. A lot of people who have done the bike/hike say they just showed up and rented bikes from whatever vendor they came across first or seemed handy.

Here's the link to the ongoing lava viewing thread. I know it's long, but it helps if you read at least the most recent info.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217…

~ Colleen

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

First read some of the recent posts on the Lava Viewing topic and check the USGS Kileauea update to find out conditions and phone numbers for info.

Pahoa is a strange place and it may or may not be for you. Do you know anything about it? If you want a typical place for vacationers, stay in Hilo or Volcano about 45--60 minutes drive back afterwards.

Mentioned in this post
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Reply to: Where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted