We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't find holiday lodging. Should I cancel trip?

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can't find holiday lodging. Should I cancel trip?

I posted this in the general Island of Hawaii forum also. I just booked air this afternoon from 1/27-1/4. We have friends that are staying at an airbnb at 14-4720 Malulani Ln, Pāhoa, HI 96778, which from what I can tell on maps looks to be close to Champagne Ponds and on the north side of Kapoho Point. We wanted to stay within a half-hour or less of them for the period of 12/27-1/1 morning and then perhaps move to a different place on the west side on 1/1-1/4. We are a family of 4, with two college age kids. Everything with enough beds (preferably 3 or 4--like 1 king and two twins or 4 twins even). I have checked out a number of bed and breakfast, other rentals and the few hotels I can find in the Pahoa/Kapoho area and the Hilo area, a few in the Volcano area, and so far I am coming up with zip.The only place I found so far is the Kamuela Inn, but that is two hours from where our friends are staying. I think I am within a 24 hour time frame and can still cancel airfare. Any ideas? Frankly, I am running out of ideas. Thanks for any thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kamuela Inn
Kamuela Inn
396 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
6 replies to this topic
Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
707 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't find holiday lodging. Should I cancel trip?

I'm sure you can find plenty of places on VRBO or AirBnB. I just checked Pahoa rentals on VRBO with your dates and came up with a couple dozen possibilities that won't break the bank.

Oops, just saw your other posting.

Edited: 07 October 2017, 09:29
Mentioned in this post
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't find holiday lodging. Should I cancel trip?

Thanks, I will try VRBO again.... When I had looked at that and Airbnb before i didn't really see anything that fit our dates.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't find holiday lodging. Should I cancel trip?

Not sure why you've got a duplicate thread but there's many more answers to your question over here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217…

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't find holiday lodging. Should I cancel trip?

The other one came first.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't find holiday lodging. Should I cancel trip?

The sub forums are a bit of a waste for posting questions, because most people read at the island level and see two duplicate topics from you.

The sub forums are somewhat useful for the occasional news topic about a smaller area, because it won’t get buried given that there’s so little use of the sub forums.

To be within half an hour of Kapoho Beach Lots, Hilo and Volcano would be out. Because of the traffic mess between Pahoa and Keaau on Hwy 130, you’d want to be on the same side of Pahoa — Kapoho Vacationland if not Beach Lots would be the most practical. Even Kalapana is not convenient. It kind of boils down to staying right near them or forget about it, as it’s going to be a hassle meeting up for one of your groups if you are in Hilo. Sure you can all drive to Volcano one day ... but that’s one day, possibly Kalapana another. The fact it is winter does not help. The roads could possibly be best avoided if rain is heavy. Kapoho is one of the sunniest areas of Puna, but all the road in-between Hilo or Volcano is subject to daily rain, sometimes deluges.

Mentioned in this post
Kalapana
Kalapana
202 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
conn
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't find holiday lodging. Should I cancel trip?

If you don't have a place to sleep I would just cancel. Sleeping in your car or on the street gets old fast.

Reply to: Can't find holiday lodging. Should I cancel trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pahoa