We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Route 130 open? Conditions?

La Mesa, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is Route 130 open? Conditions?

I will be staying in Mountain View for two nights and when I Google directions from where I'm staying to Ahalanui and Issac Hale Park, Google Maps diverts the route to Railroad Ave when I should just take the 130.

After some internet research I now better understand where the lava has recently flowed and am hoping someone can advise on on travel in that area.

Mentioned in this post
Ahalanui Park
Ahalanui Park
357 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Route 130 open? Conditions?

Yes, it is open. How odd. Railroad is not open unless they opened it to help with the roundabout construction mess.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Route 130 open? Conditions?

PS. The lava flow hasn't changed any of the routes. It came very close a couple of years ago, but stopped short.

What is messing up traffic is a roundabout being built at the entrance to Pahoa. I doubt Google is factoring in any delays.

Mentioned in this post
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
La Mesa, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Route 130 open? Conditions?

Thanks, KK. There was no info on TA or the DOT website to indicate a closure. This is why I still use a paper map when I travel! Can't totally trust navigation apps.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Route 130 open? Conditions?

Railroad Ave is definitely closed. It was opened briefly during the lava situation and residents have been calling for it to be reopened now because of the traffic problem created by the roundabout construction but so far it hasn't been.

5. Re: Is Route 130 open? Conditions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2017, 02:18