We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kehena or Hawaiian Paradise Beach?

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Kehena or Hawaiian Paradise Beach?

Hi!

My husband & I are booking our 1st trip to the big island & have are debating to stay at a rental in the Kehena Beach area or the Hawaiian Paradise beach area.

It appears that while Kehana would tack on 15 min drive time to locations like HVNP & Hilo it is less time to restaurants. Aside from that cannot figure out what is the difference between the 2 & what would be best as 1st timers to the island.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Jen

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kehena or Hawaiian Paradise Beach?

To give you and idea of our taste:

These are the 3 places we are considering:

1)https://www.vrbo.com/583918

2) https://www.vrbo.com/3956431ha

3) https://www.vrbo.com/479768

Kona
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kehena or Hawaiian Paradise Beach?

LOL! A previous poster writes , in reference to the "revealed" tourist book, that . . . "A lot of locals don't like the book; they think it gives away to many of their "secrets."

That's exactly what the author wants you to think. In reality there are no "secret" places on this island.

The reason so many of despise that book it because it is inaccurate, snarky, disrespectful of Hawaiian culture, recommends activities that are actually illegal, and makes up ridiculous place names for sites.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kehena or Hawaiian Paradise Beach?

I think the middle link, the Honoli'i house, looks great. Great location, just five minutes north of Hilo. It's going to be at least 45 minutes to VNP, because you do need to cross Hilo town, but you may wish to stop in Hilo anyway, and it's perfect for the gorgeous north of Hilo sightseeing.

The other two places look nice in of themselves (a quick look), but I think it's ridiculous to see these prices for Puna oceanfront. Not too long ago it was a stretch to see $200 a night. The desirability was you could stay oceanfront for $150 or $175. Now owners of this cheap land think they can charge the same as for property that cost three times as much for the land.

No matter how they spin it, this area is not as desirable to the average visitor. Kehena is particularly desirable to visitors who want to be close to yoga retreats, ecstatic dancing, retro 60's culture, drum circle, nude beach, no rules area, no police, lots of dope smoking in public, especially in Pahoa. If I sound judgmental there I'm really not. I lived around all of that in the 70's, and got tired of it, but I get the appeal if that's what you want. If you want a typical part of Hawai'i, then it is not.

Honoli'i beach is a local surfing beach. Hilo is very local and multi-ethnic, Japanese, Hawaiian, Filipino, Portuguese, Korean, Chinese and others. It's very old time Hawai'i. Kehena beach didn't even exist prior to 1955; the first houses in HPP were started in the mid-70's as a bedroom community. My husband was one of the carpenters in early builds at that time.

Something to understand, IMHO, about Puna oceanfront. There is a very thin fringe of upscale oceanfront housing, but that is not the economy or aesthetic of the rest of the area. On the west side, you'll see a whole area of nice homes, of which a handful are oceanfront, but all are upscale. In Puna, it is a sliver of money surrounded by poverty.

I personally don't care for this dynamic. In general, the poor people resent the people in the fancy homes along the ocean. At best they wish those houses weren't there, and at worst they consider them as good opportunities for home invasion. For that reason, you should always query about security and any prior break-ins or attempts. I know the owners don't like to have that said online. They like to pretend there is no crime.

I would go for Honoli'i. Alae Point and Pauka'a (Honoli'i cove neighborhoods) are considered excellent places to live, with a strong homeowner's association and community.

Edited: 24 February 2016, 09:40
Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,865 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Kehena or Hawaiian Paradise Beach?

37jamieg

Boston..

Anyone else notice that this poster has disappeared from TA history? (404 gone)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kehena or Hawaiian Paradise Beach?

Hi, jet, hadn't noticed, but how odd. No post count. The post seems quite a genuine impression of the island though.

There are attributes to Kehena that I really like, although Kehena beach is not one of them. I almost bought a house on Oliana Drive back in 2007. I think it might even be Air B&B now.

jamieg's post is a good reminder that nudity rasta drumming and all that is an attraction to a lot of people. As long as you know that is the scene.

I was bemused by the REAL hippies vs. pseudo-hippies, not sure what that means. The word hippie is used in a lot of different ways. To me, all young hippies are pseudo-hippies, lol. The word came out of a specific time and place, an evolution of the beat movement during Vietnam war era. 21st century escapees from civilization should get their own word, lol. ;-)

In reply to Brian A's post, the Big Island Revealed is a bad book written by a guy who was just looking for a hook to make money, and settled on the "selling out the secrets" model. The book wreaked havoc in this state for many reasons, and I would never support putting more money into this jerk's pocket, or following his advice. He does not know the Big Island that well, and is not a local either.

Now back to the original query -- I just don't think lower Puna is a great base for VNP because it is a bottleneck. Everybody has to exit via Hwy 130, a truly badly designed highway used by way too many people. I think that people who live in Puna start accepting it the way it is and don't have perspective of how much easier it is to drive other corridors than the Pahoa to Kea'au mess.

Mentioned in this post
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
16. Re: Kehena or Hawaiian Paradise Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2017, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Pahoa