We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

THANKSGIVING! (also on "Island of Hawaii" forum--OOPS!!)

Livingston, Montana
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
THANKSGIVING! (also on "Island of Hawaii" forum--OOPS!!)

Aloha! Sorry--just saw that Pahoa has its own forum! Staying in Vacationland for Thanksgiving week, arriving KOA mid-afternoon Sunday. Driving Saddle Road to our rental. Will grocery in Pahoa be open late Sunday afternoon/early evening? Or should we stop for essentials near Hilo? Options there, without going into Hilo town? Have visited/driven BI previously, just not this route to Puna.

And tips for Thanksgiving day? Any community dinners to share and/or volunteer time? Mahalo.

Mentioned in this post
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Saddle Road
Saddle Road
3,087 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
3 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,964 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: THANKSGIVING! (also on "Island of Hawaii" forum--OOPS!!)

LOL, Mama ... you were right the first time! These little sub-Forums are just a giant PITA. The Island of Hawaii (AKA Big Island) Forum includes all of the teeny sub-Forums for the Island ... all are incorporated there. And the main Forum has many more readers and much more information.

These Forums are confusing ... we know. So sorry.

Just leave your first post as is.

(Have a great trip!)

Edited: 20 October 2016, 02:48
Mentioned in this post
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: THANKSGIVING! (also on "Island of Hawaii" forum--OOPS!!)

Aloha,

Welcome to the Hawai'i forums.

No worries!

<"Will grocery in Pahoa be open late Sunday afternoon/early evening?">

Yes. But if you want more options or a greater selection, stop in Hilo.

Hilo isn't that large and there are a few grocers near ITO.

<"Community dinners">

Yes, there will be a number of community dinners sponsored by various civic organizations, churches, charities, and other groups.

Mentioned in this post
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: THANKSGIVING! (also on "Island of Hawaii" forum--OOPS!!)

I replied to your first post.

No worries about using the sub forum, but in future best not to post the same question twice. It just starts a split conversation.

As I said, Saddle Road brings you into Hilo, and you would actually pass through the part of town with the best stock up grocery options, but you should map them or you could miss them.

I have never heard much about group Thanksgiving dinners here on this side, but jet thinks there are, so maybe so. I think I would pass on spending TG with the more colorful and less washed side of Pahoa society. Colorful I can handle, but dirty and drunk I don't have the fortitude for.

There are free papers, online calendars, posters in windows, radio ads and so forth about events, and it should be easy enough to get the scoop closer to the time. There's not some one big thing that repeats annually.

Mentioned in this post
Saddle Road
Saddle Road
3,087 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Reply to: THANKSGIVING! (also on "Island of Hawaii" forum--OOPS!!)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pahoa