We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice between these properties

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Choice between these properties

2 adults and 4 kids, ages 5-10. View not important. Would be nice to have a bar and restaurant, but not a deal killer. Leaning toward Kings Land, but thought I would get opinions from others. Want someplace where the kids will not get too bored, and we don't have to watch them like a hawk. I looked at Fairway Villa's, as they were much less, but I think the kids would get bored because the pool looks pretty small. Here are some options I am looking at, along with prices including tax and fees.

Kohala Suites HGV $2462.

Kings Land $2208

Castle Halii Kai $2078

What would you do, or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Trying to stay in the $2000 range for 7 nights in November.

Thanks

Edited: 19 February 2017, 19:01
21 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice between these properties

Kings Land is definitely your best bet. It has the best pools, and they're heated. Halii Kai has the advantage of being oceanfront, but it's not accessible oceanfront, it's cliff side, and while the pool is terrific, it's not as kid friendly as the Kings Land options.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice between these properties

Thank you Shea!

I thought that was my best option, having read this forum to death over the last couple years. One more question, do you think that price sounds about right for 7 nights, 2 bedroom? It is non refundable, but it is so far out that I kind of hesitate to book yet. Lol, I just finally booked my hotel for May. Staying at Hapuna Prince for the first time. I will ask questions about that one later when I get back from Mexico.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice between these properties

Did you catch this current topic on King's Land with comparison to Hali'i Kai?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217…

Your kids are in a different age group, but if anything they are the perfect age for the pools.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice between these properties

NO!!, thank you KK. Not sure how I overlooked that one. Lol, so now there are two of us Washingtonians looking on VRBO for condos at Kings Land at the moment.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice between these properties

Yes, those prices all sound fine, I wouldn't wait.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choice between these properties

I know, lol, I was mixing you guys up at first.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice between these properties

So I am finally ready to book Kings Land, but am really confused on room types. Hoping someone has knowledge of the different 2 bedroom suites. My questions is what the difference is between the deluxe and regular 2 bedrooms. It looks like maybe the deluxe is about 100 square feet larger. If that means more living space, I would do it, but it also looks like it just has a larger master bath, which is not worth it to me.

Also, does anyone know the difference between a resort view and golf view? I am hoping for a ground level room. Not sure if golf view means up higher where you can see over the lava?

I called the hotel, and they didnt seem to know much, just seemed to be reading the description off the website, which really does not tell me what the difference is.

Portland, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
912 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice between these properties

When we stayed at Kingsland a few years ago, we had a 2b/2b suite which overlooked the golf course. It was on the top floor. We also had a washer/dryer in the suite with a huge lanai. Our master bedroom was a King bed with large flat screen TV, and the master bath suite with a standing Jacuzzi bath tub, large open shower, vanity with double sinks and a toilet. The 2nd bedroom had 2 double beds, large screen TV, and a large full bath off the hallway.

I'm guessing what we stayed in was the Deluxe Suite only because my DH is Diamond Status with Hilton Honors and we always get upgraded (when available). I'm also guessing that the resort view could be the common area or the pool area for the resort view. My suggestion would be go ahead and book what you want at this time and when you arrive, don't like the room, then kindly request a change. We really enjoyed the Kingsland and appreciated having a shuttle to take us from Kingsland to the Hilton Waikoloa Village to enjoy the ocean views and the pools.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice between these properties

Thanks Susie!

I talked to the timeshare people and they were helpful (never thought I would say that, haha). They told me the Deluxe were all in phase 1, buildings 1 through 11, and regular were in phase 2, buildings 21-25 on the other side of the road, and the Deluxe were much larger. She also told me a standard view would be ground floor.

Based on that, I booked a Deluxe Resort View room, and asked to be in building 6 or 7 to be close to clubhouse. Lol, I am sure I will be happy with it no matter what room I get, just be nice to have ground floor near clubhouse when traveling with 4 kids between the ages of 5 and 10. Be nice for the other guests also to not have these kids running up and down stairs, or thumping above them.

If I were traveling alone, my preferences would be much different, away from clubhouse on top floor.

Edited: 14 March 2017, 06:20
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,787 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choice between these properties

Love your consideration with the kids. Spot on. :)

Reply to: Choice between these properties
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted