We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

I snorkeled at A-Bay and the Lagoon, both with minimal visibility, and A-Bay lacking fish.... Any o lace near Hilton Waikoloa Village that I can snorkel? I don't have a rental car so sorta limited

22 replies to this topic
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

The Hilton has a rental car agency on site. There's good snorkeling at the Mauna Lani resort (5 minutes away) and at Mauna Kea (15 minutes away). .

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

Waikoloa Beach Resort is not recommended for snorkeling except maybe for kids to practice ...

Transportation is essential on the Big Island, sorry. We do tell everyone who does forum planning to rent a car.

Auckland
Level Contributor
125 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

Renting a car isn't the only option if people do not feel comfortable. I do really wonder why this is pushed so much. I''m all for this being recommended of course, but "you really must" is not helpful for those who state this isn't an option or choose not to for safety reasons. This was the same response I had and it nearly put me off visiting!!

Only last week there were multiple road deaths. Driving should only be encouraged for those who wish to do so. As long as people are informed of long walks, expensive taxis or darn right crazy long tours, all of which I am prepared to do for my safety, then anything is possible :-)

I too will be staying by this resort, and i am planning to use (expensive) taxis when needed, and walk to beaches. 30mins on foot is what the map suggests to walk over to beach 49 which has great snorkelling I believe? Others who have stayed here may have more on-foot options. Or even by bike? I have seen bike hire is possible in the area.

Good luck!

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

Ok thanks, I'll be trying 49 Black Sand Beach tomorrow, hopefully will be worth the walk :)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,843 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

The beach in question is called Honokaope, not 49 black sand beach. It is a difficult walk on an old fisherman's trail from the Hilton. Not even remotely bikeable. The suggestion to rent a car is because it's an absolute shame to travel to a place as large, special, and diverse as the Island of Hawaii and never leave the resort. Can you do it? Sure. Should you? Absolutely not in my opinion.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,098 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

Read this post https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217…

Best to find someone who knows the route, unless they have improved it.

To bike you would have to go up to the highway and along the highway.

Honokaope is nice and interesting in that the sand is blackish but snorkeling at Makaiwa is also good if you go out almost​ to the boat mooring ball. Just go past all the silty area with the dead and trodden coral.

Needless to say, you should be a swimmer comfortable in deep water for either site. No lifeguard at Honokaope. .

(Was writing same time as SheaG. Botyom line, take a taxi!)

Edited: 01 June 2017, 09:41
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

I'm on the trail near the golf course next to the Hilton and it either leads into the highway which is long or into a bunch of rocks which I see no trail, which one was the fisherman's trail?

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

I'm used to snorkeling in deep is water such as 10-8 ft..... How deep would you say both places are at average?

Auckland
Level Contributor
125 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

I look forward to hearing how you get on Joshua! I'll be doing the same in a few weeks, and will report back to all those like me who are car-less for their stay too :-)

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,843 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....

The fisherman's trail tracks pretty close to the shoreline. It's hard to explain u less you're familiar with it, there are points where Ira not immediately obvious what to do and where to go.

The better sections of both Honokaope and Makaiwa are in about 15-30 feet of water.

Reply to: Staying at Hilton Waikaloa Village... I want to snorkel....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted