We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel

Is there a better hotel to stay at than the Fairmont Orchid for location about the same price.

Do you fly into Kona, does the airport have a different name. we are on T Day looking for top notch, no turkey restaurant. cab or lyft to hotel

Thank you

13 replies to this topic
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel

The airport code is KOA. Unless you are willing to pay for the Four Seasons, the Fairmont Orchid is as good as any hotel on the Kohala Coast.

Lyft and Uber don't work on the Big Island. There are not many taxis either. You should really get a rental car.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel

The Four Seasons Hualalai is by far the best hotel on the island and one of, if not the, best in the state. Usually it is on "world's best" lists as well. But it is nowhere near the same price as the Fairmont. After that, I personally prefer the Mauna Lani to the Fairmont and they usually are competitive in price. They're right next door to each other. If you are staying at the Four Seasons, their restaurants will have several non -turkey options on Thanksgiving Day but they are usually reserved for hotel guests only during holidays. Most of the hotels will have Thanksgiving dinner options that will include turkey but won't be limited to it.

You might want to consider flying into KOA and out of ITO or vice versa and spending a night on the east side if you're interested in Volcanoes National Park and lava viewing (if accessible).

Edited: 02 August 2017, 04:50
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel

I can't tell what you mean by a no turkey restaurant. You might mean that you are vegetarians or vegans who want to eat where turkey is not prepared or served, or you just might want a different choice of entree. Please clarify. The first type is really scarce and may not even be open on Thanksgiving. (Under the Bodhi Tree.)

Without knowing more about your taste in hotels, can't really pick for you. The Mauna Lani as said is next to the Fairmont, but it has a better location IMO. You should look at both; it won't take long. There is also Hapuna Prince for usually less money, and Mauna a Kea for more. Check them all out..

Edited: 02 August 2017, 06:12
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel

Not a vegan, just like fine food, tired of 60 yrs of turkey and sweet potato's Christmas is always at our home, love it. want a 4* hotel and no car. tours to makeup trip for 4 days. every year a different place. Just need to see the countryside of somewhere. Budget is simple, let's not be stupid but live "la Vida Loca" can't swim anymore. Never go the same place twice, Maybe.

Check profile

thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel

Hotel suggested speedy shuttle

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel

It's cheaper than a cab.

I personally don't think this island is well suited to a paid tours only approach, but it's your vacation. I would look into the Hawaii Forest and Trail all day tour to Volcanoes National Park.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel

Thanks it's only cheaper by $10 but that's a tip. I don't enjoy driving anymore as I did it for a living. I enjoy tours because when you get there you know why and what your looking at, I'm smart enough to know when to take a tour suggestion and when to head out on my own. but when I drive my wife says "look at that" and I'm looking at break lights.

8. Re: Best hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 November 2017, 10:35

Visalia...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel

This is off topic, but I didn't know more than one person could have the same Tripadvisor name. Seems odd that Tripadvisor would allow that.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel

Well........this is a big (huge) place (but I'm sure you know that already), and I've never done it without a car, but I can for sure recommend the Hawaii Forest and Trail tours.

Re: hotel.......I haven't stayed at the Orchid.....but stay very close in a condo complex at the Mauna Lani, and I like the location very much. We walk the beach there every day, and I like the grounds and surroundings of both the Mauna Lani, and the Orchid (they are side by side). If you don't have a car......there are a couple of options for dining within walking distance on the beach, Napua being the furthest from you. Brown's Beach House, and CanoeHouse being the other two of course.

Reply to: Best hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted