We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott's Waiohai vs Wyndham

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Marriott's Waiohai vs Wyndham

Hello,

Any advice which hotel is better for a family with a 2 year old? We plan to book a 2 bedroom condo in April. Rates are comparable.

My concerns for the Wyndham is the construction being an eye sore and no beach access. However, the rooms and grounds look nicer at the Wyndham.

Thanks for your help!

California
Level Contributor
40,353 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott's Waiohai vs Wyndham

Rates are the same for both? That is surprising as booking through Marriott for one of their popular timeshares is pricey.

With a 2 year old, go Marriott. I love Koloa Landing (they don't call it Wyndham) and the condos are just gorgeous, but hauling a toddler over to the beach will get old. With The M you are right on the best beach and the place is very nice. This complex is full of families for a reason and its one of the most popular timeshares in all the islands.

Mentioned in this post
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Koloa Landing Resort at...
2,090 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott's Waiohai vs Wyndham

Yes, the rooms at Koloa Landing would be nicer, more open looking and more upscale. But you're on vacation, not buying the place. The grounds at the Waiohai are also quite nice with walkways and another hot tub tucked further back among the lush plantings.

The big difference is location. If you think you'll be heading to the beach a lot then pick the Waiohai. If not, and you think you'll be out and about every day then I'd go with Koloa Landing. The key at both of them is location, location, location. At KL you want to make sure you're not close to or looking down on the construction. At the Waiohai you want to make sure you don't have a unit that overlooks the large parking lot for Poipu Beach.

In the end, pick which one works for the adults. The two year old won't care and will be quite happy at the pool of either one.

Edited: 19 January 2016, 01:44
Mentioned in this post
2,090 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
4,013 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Dana Point...
Level Contributor
889 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott's Waiohai vs Wyndham

Agree, we would also recommend the Marriot Waiohai over Koloa Landing. Especially with your youngster and being at the beach. Actually, you not only have the beach out front, but next door is Poipu Beach Park, with fun zone stuff, and a special kiddie shallow lagoon that is pretty much naturally protected from the seas.

When we have been there, for grog and grub at the Waiohai Honu Tiki Bar after hiking or biking or snorkeling, we have noticed that it is a family friendly resort. Really, very nice.

Think that you would like it there....and the units are luxury style. I liked them when I did a time share training tour. Plus they have a neat fitness center which would be important to us. Add that the swimming pool at the Waiohai is very popular with families of all ages.

Everyone seems to be having a grand time, whether in the water, or the pool or just soaking up the rays.

A huge aloha and welcome to Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
2,090 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
4,013 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott's Waiohai vs Wyndham

Thanks for the replies! Marriott it is.

Huntington Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott's Waiohai vs Wyndham

Hi Jonathan and company, We were wondering if you or anyone here were happy that you chose the Marriott versus the Koloa Landing? We are trying to decide between the two resorts at the moment. My wife and I have 3 kids, ages 8, 13, and 15. We've stayed at both before actually. The Koloa Landing had more upscale units and great lanais but everyday it was a must to get in the car and go exploring, which we love, but walking out to the beach was a very nice convenience when we stayed at the Marriott Waiohai. I'm afraid, with the our current opportunity to rent an island view from an owner, we will get building 4 facing out to the parking lot like we did last time we stayed there. It's a very high probability that we would, being in July and we'd be low on the priority list for Marriott. Even given this possibility, I wonder if the access to the beach, the ocean view restaurant, and the slightly better fitness facility carry more or less weight than the nicer and larger rooms and bigger lanai in the Koloa Landing? I know this is a personal decision but obviously I am throwing this out there to the public. Price is not a huge issue, but I actually have a better deal through Koloa Landing. Tough call. We are feeling a bit like vacation snobs at this point! Just excited to get over to Kauai! Any advice is much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
2,090 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott's Waiohai vs Wyndham

Another idea is the Marriott Kauai Lagoons if you don't care too much about beach access. the Kauai Lagoons overlook Nawilliwilli bay. The view and the units are really top notch. I still prefer Poipu but this is another option for a nice condo near the water... with pools, etc

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
403 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
7. Re: Marriott's Waiohai vs Wyndham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2017, 12:16