We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

Hey guys, my plan right now is to do 5 nights at the GH in Poipu then transfer over to Maui for 5 nights at the Four Seasons. I'm pretty excited about the GH (especially the pools) but wanted to see if it will be too kid-populated to be considered for a honeymoon. We would be in a 'deluxe ocean view' room. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
40,659 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

They have an adult only pool and I recommend renting a cabana near there, otherwise people go down at 8am and take the loungers (trust me I was one them and I hate myself for it but they forced me to do it). Yes there will be a lot of kids but down near the slide and lagoon. Have you researched St Regis or Koa Kea? If you are doing 4Season on Maui which is in the drier area of the island, you might want to check out the more lush and green side of Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
St. Regis Princeville Resort
St. Regis Princeville...
3,090 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,374 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

Thanks for the reply. Thats a great point about balancing the 'lushness' of the area we're staying at. I had also read that the north side is better for swimming and snorkeling in the summer, but we kind of are priced out of the St Regis. Are there any other northern resorts that would fit a honeymoon? We aren't interested in doing a condo.

Either way, we definitely planned on exploring Kauai a lot with our car.

Mentioned in this post
St. Regis Princeville...
3,090 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

And the Koa Kea looks like it's way smaller and we really love having a huge pool area. Really my only two concerns for the GH were the kids (adult pool area helps, good to know!) and the beach being really rough. I just didn't think I could see any good north-shore options..

Mentioned in this post
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,374 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,483 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

Have you thought perhaps of getting a quiet cottage? Or looking for the hotel/resort experience? :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
277 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

Nothing would be more perfect than a cottage on the North Shore in July! Though Koa Kea does sound like it might very well be what you're looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,374 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,659 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

Check and see if Hale Makai has any of the cottages open. You will give up a pool but you have a pool on Maui.

Edited: 17 March 2016, 08:26
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

I'm a huge GHK fan (I'll be there in July with my little kids!) but for you, I wouldn't discount Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville - yes, it is condos, but there's an onsite lounge with the restaurant re-opening "mid 2016" (according to the website), a beautiful pool (no, not quite to the level of GH!), tennis courts, and many of the condos are beautifully decorated and updated.

Jebett owns there and can recommend good ones. She's not allowed to recommend her own, though, so I will: https://www.vrbo.com/283525 (this is the studio unit 4221, you can also rent 4222 but that would be more space than you'd need).

It's close to the St Regis so you could enjoy dinner/drinks there, especially with all the money you'd be saving on the rental fee...

Since you're staying in a fancy-pants resort on Maui, why not give condos a try on Kauai so you get that classic North Shore experience?

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei Bay Resort
Hanalei Bay Resort
1,940 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
St. Regis Princeville...
3,090 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

Oh, drat - I just looked at the calendar and that unit is booked solid in July - but if gives you a sense of what the HBR condos offer.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

The Hyatt is great IMO. There are lots of people but the place is so huge you can find lots of uncrowded areas to chill out. The pools are over the top insane. I've stayed at many great resorts but the Hyatt's pools are by far the best. I love the north shore but I prefer to base ourselves in Poipu because it makes getting around the island so much easier.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,640 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Hyatt in July for a Honeymoon?

Going strictly by what you've given as your preferences - you want the pools and you don't want a condo......

Then go ahead and pick the Grand Hyatt. As said, the kids tend to populate down by the lagoon area and the water slide area. Even so, the lagoon is huge with lots of nooks and crannies. The kids aren't taking it over. Most of them are staying in the sandy bottom shallow area. You can stay up by the adult pool too. The grounds are expansive; you'll find those quieter spots.

Up to you but it all depends on your tolerance for kids. Some people don't even want to see them. Just my own opinion but I've never felt I had a ruined stay in places I've stayed with kids around. Just know that summer + Hawaii = families. Try as you may to get away from them at a hotel they're still going to be at the beaches and restaurants. Other than changing your dates I'm not sure it's worth worrying about. You can decide whether you're going to let it get to you or not.

As far as the Koa Kea, yes, it's a much smaller place with a commensurate pool to match. If you like the amenities of a large resort like the Hyatt you may not like it there. Although it doesn't attract families.

Edited: 18 March 2016, 01:23
Mentioned in this post
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort
2,374 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Get answers to your questions about Poipu