We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

Tucson
Level Contributor
19 posts
32 reviews
Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

Wondering which tower/guest rooms are most desirable at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club - "desirable" meaning closest to the ocean with best views.

California
Level Contributor
41,446 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

Isn't the "tower" at the Kalapaiki Bay location? The one in Lihue?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

No "tower" at the Waiohai Location in Poipu.

Tucson
Level Contributor
19 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

Actually, I see they are called "Hale"s" and evidently they have elevators. Based on other Marriott timeshare sites in Hawaii (Maui and Ko'Olina), the map isn't always a perfect indicator of the best view, etc. On the map it looks like Hale 1 (facing the beach) is the BEST and we are qualified for beach (not "garden"/parking lot), but I certainly am hoping for the best opportunity for the BEST room -- aren't we all?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

hawaiirevealed.com/resort-reviews/…

California
Level Contributor
41,446 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

Hale is much different than tower. Are you a Marriott owner? They usually get the prime units. BarbinAbq is a Marriott timeshare owner and maybe she can tell you the tricks to getting a good room. The Poipu Marriott is one of the most popular timeshares on any island. It also seems that Hale 2 has pool and ocean views.

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
680 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

I can tell you my experience as someone who is renting a time share week from an owner (we will be arriving at the Marriott a week from today!) as I just called the Marriott to ask about rooms. The nice woman I spoke to said that which room you are assigned depends on various factors including how long you are staying (timeshare owners staying two weeks get priority over those staying one week) and also your Marriott rewards status - if you are gold or platinum or what have you, you get a better spot than if you are just a regular old rewards member, but better to be a rewards member than not. In our case, our rewards number controls not the timeshare owner since he's not staying - but we do get points on our rewards account for staying which I didn't anticipate. She said the room we get will be assigned at checkin. We have an oceanview reserved and she said there are actually oceanview units in every Hale but Hales 1 and 8 are requested most. She said because of that and because it is summer and they are pretty much fully booked, we are unlikely to get 1 or 8! I'm just going to have a mellow attitude and figure we won't be spending a lot of time in our rooms and whichever we get will be fine. As we used to say to our kids when they were little: you get what you get and you don't make a fuss!

Edited: 04 June 2016, 06:42
Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
147 reviews
7. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

Hale 1 and 8 are the closest to the ocean. But I've had 'meh' views in Hale 8 so there are no guarantees. I particularly like Hale 2 because you a view over the pool to the ocean. I would ask for an interior/ocean view. Being the outside villas can be annoying because you may be facing the parking lot of the state park or the back of Koa Kea.

The interior landscaping is amazing so asking for interior ocean may give you the best choice. Best way to get a good room is being friendly and upbeat at checkin. It's Kauai and you are on vacation!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

RealtorPam...

As Jebett mentioned, we've owned at Waiohai since only half the buildings were built and have stayed at least one week every year. We bought "island view" because it was more affordable but as the property was built up, I am happier than ever that we did not buy "ocean view"!

The ocean view buildings face the ocean - and guess what, that's were all the folks sitting on chaise lounges want to face as well. I've always felt SO bad for the folks in the "ocean view" rooms along the "promenade" (and that could be Hale 1) because all they look out at all day are rows of chaise lounges and sun worshipers (some of whose physiques aren't all that attractive) and I mean literally camped out feet from your lanai and on the other side of the "sidewalk". Kids screaming as they run back and forth to the pool! Not for us!

As far as the other "ocean view" buildings behind the large lawn (Hale 8?) - well if you like watching games of tag, softball, etc etc all evening right in front of your building, then go for it. Again, not for us!

The ocean is black at night! So when paying for "ocean view" you get to experience bodies, kids and loud "fun" vacation noises all day and then at night, you get to watch all of us who go down to look at the stars!

We actually prefer back where we bought - Hale 3, 4, 5 - around the lake with "John the Swan" and the waterfalls. It's much more quiet day and night. And whatever you do - do not - do not - request a villa overlooking The Pool as the pool is overcrowded, noisy and very close to the units. (There is a gorgeous "Quiet Pool" where we hang out.)

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions.

From one Realtor to another...

BARB

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
63 reviews
9. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

Sorry - couldn't edit my post. Just found the property map.

Hale 1 and Hale 8 - NO WAY!!!

Hale 8 only if you got the "less desirable" back section of Hale 8 which overlooks a large lawn. That lawn borders the foot path to the beach and will have consistent foot traffic all day. However, I doubt that anyone will be looking up and to the side into your privacy. And you will be able to see/hear the ocean.

Hale 1 seems to be the multiple unit family reunion hale and I described the seemingly endless groups of folks out on the lawn playing games. We like our peace and quiet!

However, in requesting Hale 8, you could end up overlooking the pool and I can't imagine a worse way to spend my days or evenings!

BARBARA

Edited: 06 June 2016, 02:55
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
63 reviews
10. Re: Marriott Waiohai Guest Rooms

Apologies to RealtorPam and MomofLosAltos...

You didn't say anything about how many you are and you might actually be a family who will relish having that huge lawn outside of Hale 1.

Please don't forget - Waiohai was indeed built from scratch but it was built on an old hotel property that was never intended to have the guest population it now does. It can be very very crowded. It was built specifically to be a "family" resort. In fact, the only reason we own an additional week there as opposed to adding to our weeks at the KBC is so that we can have a two bedroom for guests.

But in any case - don't forget to go down to the promontory after dark, bring your (plastic) glass of wine and sit under the stars with the waves crashing in.

Edited: 06 June 2016, 03:23