We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu Kapili Regency or Poipu Kai?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu Kapili Regency or Poipu Kai?

Hi TA! We are staying for 6 nights in late August (6 instead of 7 nights limited our choices a bit.) I've narrowed to Regency at Poipi Kai gardenview vs. Poipu Kapili (says they all have oceanviews, but looks like partial). About a 250$ difference for total stay (Kapili is more).

Sheraton beach (for Kapili) vs Poipu beach? More pools at PoipuKai? Location seems good for both. Thanks for any input.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
393 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
4,026 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,992 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poipu Kapili Regency or Poipu Kai?

I am a huge fan of Poipu Kapili.

The grounds are immaculate, the staff terrific and it is a nice sized property. I also like the beach in front of the Sheraton and that you can walk to both shopping centers from Poipu Kapili.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
393 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
40,428 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poipu Kapili Regency or Poipu Kai?

Poipu Kapili is a great complex but there is some construction behind it (Koloa Landing) so get a map and see if that unit is close by. It might the reason its still open. If its not close to that construction, its worth the extra few dollars.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
393 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Koloa Landing Resort at...
2,097 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,482 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Poipu Kapili Regency or Poipu Kai?

These are comparing apples and oranges. Two different classes of lodging. Poipu Kapili is worth the extra money if you're willing to part with it. Of course you now need to be careful about location at Poipu Kapili. If you're booking a unit through Parrish tell them you do not want a unit that backs up to the construction at Koloa Landing. And remember, even rental agencies will negotiate. Maybe you can swing a construction discount and bring that $200 difference down.

Do you have small children with you by any chance? If so, I'd say stay at the Regency for easier access to Poipu Beach Park and the children's swimming area there. You can walk to it from Regency. However, know that the Regency you need to be careful of location. A building or two of Regency is right at the intersection of Poipu and Pe'e roads. The lanai of some units and windows overlook this.

I'd take a partial oceanview at Poipu Kapili any day over a gardenview at the Regency. A couple of the buildings PK are slanted so the lanais do get the oceanview too. As far as pools go, each division at Poipu kai ( such as the Regency) have their own pool. The Regency pool is quite small but you do also have access to the pool at the tennis courts.

I'd take the beach at the Sheraton which is a 5 minute walk from PK any day over Poipu Beach Park. However, you have your own situation and if you have little ones you'd be better off at The Regency due to the 10-15 minute walk down to Poipu Beach Park.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
393 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Koloa Landing Resort at...
2,097 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Beach Park
Poipu Beach Park
4,026 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
San Jose
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poipu Kapili Regency or Poipu Kai?

We styed at Poipu Kai several years back nd really liked it. Note there are several different complexes/areas within Poipu Kai. It is not really densely packed which is nice. Our unit was back by Poipu road so the beach was a long walk, but the pool was 50 steps from our door, and hardly used. It had more of a quiet apartment complex feel than big resort.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
5. Re: Poipu Kapili Regency or Poipu Kai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2017, 13:16