We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
671 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

Aloha - we are on Kauai now staying at the Marriott Waiohai and it's our daughter's 14th birthday. She mentioned kind of last minute (yesterday) that she'd love to have a cake (we had thought we'd just get some dessert when we went out to dinner). So we checked Big Save last night - all they had was ice cream cakes, including one with chocolate frosting - which is a possibility and we will get one if we can't find anything else. But would rather get a real chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Doesn't have to say Happy Birthday or anything!

Also checked Living Foods but they have nothing. Didn't remember about Sueoka's yesterday - called them today midday when I did remember but they have no more chocolate cakes today. Papalani Gelato has a couple of ice cream cakes also but not with chocolate frosting which she prefers. I even called the concierge here at the Waiohai and she tried calling some smaller bakers but because it's Sunday she said she couldn't find anything. We'd have to go to Safeway or Kauai Bakery in Kapaa. Would rather stay around here. Anyone have any other ideas for a last minute chocolate/chocolate cake? Mahalo!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Papalani Gelato
Papalani Gelato
610 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Loco coco shave ice
$, Fast food, Street Food, Hawaiian
Da Crack
$, Mexican, Southwestern, Fast food
Anuenue Cafe
$$ - $$$, Hawaiian, American, Cafe
California
Level Contributor
40,390 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

Safeway in Puhi area. About 20 mins away. You have to just get what you can get, I guess.

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
671 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

Thanks jebett, yeah I already thought of that, but just didn't want to drive back to that Safeway. Was hoping someone would know of something closeby. There was a thread on this about 5 years ago and back then nothing was found other than the ice cream cakes but wondered if in 5 years something new had popped up.

California
Level Contributor
40,390 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

sounds like a nice ice cream cake with a side of chocolate sauce will be a good compromise.

new york
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

What about Costco ? They have a great chocolate cake !

Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
671 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

Thanks suki, but we're in Poipu and didn't want to drive back to Lihue or Kapaa - not wanting to spend more than about 5 minutes' driving time!

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
Los Altos, CA
Level Contributor
671 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

P.S. we ended up just getting the frozen one from Big Save and lo and behold, it wasn't even an ice cream cake! It was just in the freezer but was a regular chocolate cake with chocolate frosting which was exactly what we'd wanted in the first place! It had a little freezer burn but not bad. So all's well that ends well :-)

Koloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

Hi ....Check the yellow pages as I know there is a good bakery toward Eleele. I am sorry I am not anywhere near a Kauai phone book....good luck.

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Koloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

Try Wong's in Hanapepe...a freind purchased a cake for me and it was delicious.

Aloha, Wendy

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,225 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

The OP already bought and ate the BD cake.

Too bad about the freezer burn. You might want to let them know.

Enjoy the remainder of your time on Kaua'i.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chocolate cake for daughter's birthday in Poipu/Koloa area?

There is a Safeway in Lihue now near Costco about 20/25 minutes from Poipu. Costco also has cakes.

Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI