We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu in Early March 2017-3 Generations, 6 People to Please!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Poipu in Early March 2017-3 Generations, 6 People to Please!

Hello!

I am usually good at finding the "sweet spot" in uncharted territory, but Poipu's wide variety (and similarly named resorts) is throwing me off. We are currently considering the Villas at Poipu Kai, and I am wondering if there is another place you would recommend based on the following:

-Grandma/Grandpa: relaxing, reading, coffee, views, walkability, resort atmosphere, ability to make light meals in day, proximity to restaurants nearby at night

-Mom/Dad/Baby: walk to beach/snorkel spots, want to be able to leave baby with gma and gpa and get some drinks!! without being too far from home, pool would be nice, spa, bathtub for mommy

-Uncle (single fella, doesn't want to be isolated in a private home away from action with the married couples)

We would prefer to stay in one big place together, rather than separate rooms.

Aside from beach, we are interested in diving, ziplines/heli tours, scenic drives/hikes.

We thought Poipu is a good location in March due to possibility of rain, and ability to please all generations in one spot.

We are staying 7 nights, and would like to keep it around $6000 for 3 bedrooms/3 baths.

Please let me know if you have any wisdom to share!

I am in charge of accommodations and I really want all to be happy.

THANKS!

Mentioned in this post
The Villas at Poipu Kai
The Villas at Poipu Kai
264 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Poipu in Early March 2017-3 Generations, 6 People to Please!

" so we muster through Jan, Feb, March. It builds character we tell ourselves : )"

My family always joked it keeps the riff raff out.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Poipu in Early March 2017-3 Generations, 6 People to Please!

If you want to explore other options of the houses next to the Grand Hyatt, on the greenbelt, here is the link for VRBO where you'll find these.

https:/…poipu

When you click on this a listing of all rental complexes in Poipu will appear. Look for Lanai Villas and Bayview (villas). These are the two complexes next to the Hyatt on the greenbelt.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Poipu in Early March 2017-3 Generations, 6 People to Please!

Oh thanks for looking at that again-duh!

I got a quote and its a little more than $6000-$7454 and $1000 of that is refundable damage deposit. Definitely one of the 3 options I will present to the family!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,509 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Poipu in Early March 2017-3 Generations, 6 People to Please!

I know what I do, is not for everyone. As I read your first post, I thought it was me writing. We are the Grandparents, the son and wife now have a 12 year old, (who was a year old when she first made her appearance on Kauai), and the single Uncle. We are leaving next week for Lake Tahoe, in a condo, stay in other places in condos together, but in Hawaii, we love a resort for the week.

We stay at the Grand Hyatt, get two connecting rooms, close the door at night. We get the Sunshine on Sale package, so that we get the free breakfast buffet every morning which satisfies everyone. The plan includes a free 6th night, with purchase of 5 nights. You can add extra nights, or use Golden Passport points. We are either out for the day, or swimming in the lagoon and only need a smoothie for lunch. We always go out to dinner during the week, usually in Poipu.

Everyone likes a place for drinks, sunsets, entertainment, water slide, kayaks. The young people like a Stevenson's Library Bar, with pool table, live Jazz, fresh sushi some nights. We listen to the Luau from our balcony when it is out on the lawn by the ocean.

It works for us over the years, because we are used to traveling like that, and we get to babysit all the time.

Have a wonderful time with your extended family!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
15. Re: Poipu in Early March 2017-3 Generations, 6 People to Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2017, 13:17