We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

I can't decide which way to go with this, so I thought I'd ask the kind people of TA for your thoughts.

I've got a reservation up north for one week next June, 10 - 17. I want to combine that with 2 weeks in Poipu. My question is, are the 2 weeks before or after this time period better? Or are any differences inconsequential?

17 June - 1 July:

Southern swells have a better chance to be higher (more interesting).

More into high season, so more of us tourists to deal with.

Leave for airport from the South, so don't have to worry about going through Kapaa traffic (perhaps not much a concern on a Saturday morning anyway).

Weather should be the same either time period.

I'm leaning towards the 2 weeks earlier (27 May - 10 June), because I think the biggest difference would be less tourists. However, maybe there really is no difference at all and I should just flip a coin.

Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Hayden Lake, ID
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

I love May to early June. The weather is not as hot, the crowds are smaller and the prices are usually less.

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

Flip a coin

California
Level Contributor
40,629 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

You will probably get better airfare out of Sacramento or Oakland going before. I too love the end of May. After mid June, the island gets pretty busy because kids are out of school, but flipping a coin works too!

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

Thanks for the replies. Fewer crowds is very appealing to me, as I usually try to travel out of high season to avoid the most crowded times. Lower airfare would certainly be nice, too.

But I saw a graph of average surf heights, and it seemed to imply there could be a pretty big difference in swell heights between the end of May and the end of June. We like to spend hours and hours watching the waves crash at Mahaulepu, so it's a real tossup whether or not that's worth braving the "crowds" for that.

Guess I had better find a coin.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,617 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

So it sounds like you actually want the larger swells. Well, it's the luck of the Irish no matter when you come. In 40 years of staying in Poipu at all times of the year I'd say there's little to no difference between the end of May or end of June. There is no real consistency; you could arrive the end of June to flat seas too. Every day can be different. I'd come before so you can avoid the heavier summer crowds

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

Thank you, Napaguy, that really was the piece of info I was hoping to get.

Before it is.

California
Level Contributor
40,629 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

I was on island the middle of May this year and the surf was still pretty decent on the North Shore. Spend some time at Kalihiwai Bay. Good surfing and boogy boarding even during the summer.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

I would avoid Memorial Day wkend. I assume it would be more crowded and hotels/ flights may be more expensive.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
143 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

Thanks, SunnySanDiego; hadn't realized that was that weekend. I'll have to think about this some more.

Ha, nothing's easy!

California
Level Contributor
40,629 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silly question: 2 weeks before or after mid-June?

I don't think Memorial Day is a biggie. Beaches are more crowded though.

Get answers to your questions about Poipu