We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

97 degrees; which to do?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
77 posts
87 reviews
97 degrees; which to do?

We will be in Moab starting next Saturday (May 19 ). We'll have 4 days, 5 nights there. The first full day (Sun/May 20) is expected to by 97. I realize it is a dry heat! so not like 97 in Ohio when it is humid and feels like 110. But that is still HOT to me. Wondering if one of these would be a better choice given the temperature - Arches - delicate arch hike; Arches - Devil's garden area; Canyonlands - Island in the Sky; or ATV tour around Moab. We'll stay on Ohio time and be up and out early regardless of what we choose to do. Any thoughts on which might be "cooler"? Looks like it will be in the 80's the other days we will be there. And here I thought I would beat the heat by going in May vs June!

10 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
1. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

Canyonlands is a bit higher in elevation so it should be a few degrees cooler. Island in the sky has viewpoints and short hikes so you can be in and out of the ac. AS far as arches the Devils Garden area has less elevation gain so is easier hiking Delicate arch has some more climbing.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,524 posts
158 reviews
2. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

It really does help to start very early. Leave the main part of the day (12-5) for water activities or indoor (air conditioned driving?)

A raft trip would be a great idea.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,663 posts
449 reviews
3. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

Not sure where you're getting that forecast. Current forecasts I'm seeing are calling for high of 81 and low of 55. Those pretty comfortable temps. Even if it were 97 I would not worry so much about it. There's a good article on how to beat the heat on the right hand side of this page (when viewed on computer). Read it and use it as a resource. But from the forecasts I'm seeing you are going to want to layer up.

Have fun.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

Agree with T&C that the forecast for Saturday 5/19 does not look that bad. And anything can be managed with the advice he has directed you to.

Having said that it was 95 today and the Devil's Garden was swarming with people anyway. We did 7 miles between 10am & 2pm with water and all we needed afterwards was some beer.

utah
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

I'd chose Canyonlands on a hot day just because the hikes tend to be shorter - you'll spend more of your day moving for site to site in an air conditioned car. Delicate Arch would probably be the hottest - but it's easily remedied with an early start.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
77 posts
87 reviews
6. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

Thanks all. I was looking at Sunday May 20 on AccuWeather. Also I was looking up Moab, not sure if looking at Arches or some other location would give me a different forecast. Just checked and it stills says 97. It is still a ways out so it might change. I got what I needed. I'll probably schedule Canyonlands on whatever the hottest day is when we are there.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,087 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

I just checked the weather in Moab for May 20 on my phone weather app. 82 degrees high/55 degrees low and partly cloudy. That sounds pretty nice to me for the area. That said, weather forecasts are only reliable about 2 or 3 days out. Things can change in the next week.

Level Contributor
204 posts
8. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

It won't be that hot right away in the day either. We did Delicate Arch in June last year and started walking at about 8. It was very pleasant for the first hour or so and gradually warmed up. I think the sign said it was 101 by the time we left the park at noon, but I want to say it was around 70 when we got up that morning.

I'm from SD so I get the humidity too. Their lack of humidity helps greatly and I think it's because sweat evaporates quickly off your skin. At home, when you sweat in the humidity, you just feel like a dishrag and the air is thick.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

The AccuWeather forecast does indeed call for a high of 97 in Moab on May 20 while weather.com and classic weather underground are predicting a high of 85 on that date. Morning temperatures will certainly be in the comfortable range.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,517 posts
265 reviews
10. Re: 97 degrees; which to do?

My husband, son and I all use different weather apps and none of them agree. And then the weather is what it is - sometimes it matches what the app says and sometimes it doesn't. I live about an hour or so from Arches and the temps can be similar some days. The key to being comfortable is to wear a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and stay hydrated. Because all that sweat that is evaporating off of you is also dehydrating you. Good advice to start early no matter the temps.

Last weekend we had lots of people into Fruita/Grand Junction from Moab because they couldn't take the crowds any more. One gal had started a hike early early in the morning in Arches and gave up due to the number of people. When she left the park there was a double line of cars backed up onto the interstate wanting in and this was like before 10am. Everyone wants to be in Moab it seems.

Reply to: 97 degrees; which to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted