We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 day itinerary check

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
6 day itinerary check

Hello, my wife and I (both 32) will be in Moab from Sunday night to the following Sunday morning next week allowing 6 full days. We did southwest Utah last year and can't wait to experience Moab!! Just wanted to get some thoughts on my itinerary. We have friends meeting us on Thursday so arches is split into two days to allow them to be there for our fiery furnace tour.

Monday - UT 128. Hike fisher towers, stop at red cliff lodge for lunch, hike grandstaff trail

Tuesday - open right now. Possible ideas include needles district, la sal mountain loop, goblin valley, or utv rental. Any thoughts or other options?

Wednesday - Arches hike primitive loop in morning then canyonlands island in the sky district in the afternoon

Thursday - hike Corona arch in the morning, meet up with our friends and hike saltmill creek in the afternoon

Friday - beginner mountain bike trails, then either float down the Colorado or just relax at hotel pool

Saturday - fiery furnace tour, then delicate arch and windows. Dead horse point for sunset

Let me know what you experts think. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Utah
Utah
United States
Corona Arch
Corona Arch
852 Reviews
Moab, UT
Colorado
Colorado
United States
6 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,449 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 day itinerary check

It looks like a workable plan to me. I think the drive down to the Needles District is a good idea, its a beautiful drive in. But the LaSalles make a nice trip on a hot day.

Mentioned in this post
The Needles
The Needles
281 Reviews
Canyonlands National Park, UT
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 day itinerary check

I'd find a way to do Delicate Arch early in the day. There's really no shade anywhere on the trail except for a couple trees here and there. Plus, we left the parking lot at 11am and there were cars parked down the road. We had multiple choices of parking at 7:30am.

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
994 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 day itinerary check

Another vote for heading down to the Needles District on Tuesday. Consider doing a day hike there to either Chesler Park Loop (11 mi. RT) or Druid Arch (11 mi. RT).

Also, if you have time, perhaps do Dead Horse Point at sunset on Wednesday night as you'll already be at Canyonlands (IITS) that afternoon.

Mentioned in this post
The Needles
The Needles
281 Reviews
utah
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 day itinerary check

Conbine Canayonlands Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Point. Think of Dead Horse Point as one of the lookout points at Canyonlands - they are just a few minutes apart. Personally I think 1/2 day is enough for Cayonlands & Dead Horse Point. I like your plan with doing that and, I assume, Devil's Garden on the same day - get the long hike done in the morning and drive to viewpoints and short/easy hikes in the afternoon/evening.

Do you want/need any advice on beginner mountain biking trails. How beginner?

The moab brand trails are great and easily accessible: utahmountainbiking.com/trails/brand-trails.h…

One of my favorites for a beginner (my kids have always had a great experience on it is M&M): www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/monitor.htm

Mentioned in this post
Island in the Sky
Island in the Sky
579 Reviews
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 day itinerary check

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the needles district might be a must do.

Reason for dead horse being split from IITS is because our friends have already done IITS and dead horse but wanted to do a sunset at dead horse. So this was the best I could figure out between the parks without too much backtracking.

Our friends are pretty familiar with the bike trails too. Those were the same trails they mentioned as good beginners for us so I'm sure we will be doing one of those. Thanks again!

utah
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 day itinerary check

Makes sense - I'd still consider this:

Wed - Devil's Garden then Windows then Delicate Arch for sunset

Sat - Fiery Furnace, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point.

Your original plan is livable as well - it's only an extra hour of driving and you have plenty of time in the area. Other than saving some driving the other advantage is waiting until later in the day to hike Delicate Arch when it is less hot.

Mentioned in this post
Fiery Furnace
Fiery Furnace
420 Reviews
Arches National Park, UT
Delicate Arch
Delicate Arch
1,587 Reviews
Arches National Park, UT
Reply to: 6 day itinerary check
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted