We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family vacation to south Utah in June

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
family vacation to south Utah in June

Hello! I am new to this forum and hope to get some help in planning our family vacation. There are 4 of us: both I and my husband are 51 years old (active), and our children are 26 and 18 years old. We'll have about 9-10 days at the end of May-beginning of June for our dream vacation to south of Utah. What could be recommended for that number of days? We want to see beautiful parks, enjoy easy hiking, maybe spend half /full day for water rafting (just for fun) and we are trying to find where to stay without moving each day or so to a new place. Usually we are looking for some vacation homes where we can stay for several days to enjoy the beauty outside and nice pleasant home away from home for the evenings. We'll be flying from New York. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Ella

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: family vacation to south Utah in June

Thank you very much for your continuing input. Your combined knowledge and willingness to share it and help a complete stranger is really amazing and I don't have enough words to tell you how happy I am that I decided to ask for an advice on this forum.

We think that we really want to see the North Rim, very happy that you caught my mistake before it became too late. Of course, there are no available rooms in the lodge and I am afraid to test our luck and wait for some random opening later on. So, my question is if it's possible to stay in Page and go from there to see the North Rim. Basically, we'll stay with our previous itinenary but instead of going to GC Village we'll go to Page, stay there for 2 nights, using the first day to explore the area (Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon) and driving to the North Rim on our second day. At the end of the day we'll drive from NR straight to Springdale to go to Zion next morning.

What do you think about this change?

Edited: 26 February 2012, 04:15
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,585 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: family vacation to south Utah in June

It is doable, but a fair amount of driving. Figure 3 hours from Page to the north rim (lodge area) then another 3 from the north rim to Springdale. So you would have a few hours to look about on the north rim.

I reckon you could go ahead with this plan, make the reservations in Page, but keep checking for cancellations at the North Rim...you might get lucky!

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: family vacation to south Utah in June

Woot! I think we can start making reservations now. Thanks again :)

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: family vacation to south Utah in June

I agree with Hick, make reservations in Page but call back to the north rim often.You may get lucky and get a cancellation.

Check the cancellation policy of the hotel in Page also.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: family vacation to south Utah in June

Here is a link to see that tower near Jacob Lake.

members.virtualtourist.com/m/9823a/b70d6/

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: family vacation to south Utah in June

If you can't get anything at the North Rim, I would try to get something closer than Springdale. Jacob Lake is possible as is Kanab. Staying at either would allow you more time on the Rim as well as being able to drive into Zion during the daytime. And you really don't want to miss the east side of Zion (unless you'll be going back that way on the way to Bryce, not looking at your schedule right now.)

And you are welcome about the help. TA is really a great resource and full of wonderful people.

Edited: 26 February 2012, 09:46
Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: family vacation to south Utah in June

I want to bring to your attention one more idea. (sorry for continuing attempts to pick you brains, your generosity in offering advice and help is really irresistible).

On our vacations we really try to minimize the number of places we're sleeping, plus to face the least possible number of packing/unpacking.

How about just 2 places to stay - to have Moab as our hub for Arches and Canyonlands and then to move to Kanab for Lake Powell, North Rim, Zion and Bryce. According to Google maps (unless I did a mistake again) the longest drive from Kanab is 2h to N. Rim, the other places are even closer (1-1.5 hours drive). And the drive to SLC for the flight home is about 5 hours, which is easily manageable.

What do you think?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: family vacation to south Utah in June

So you would rather drive 4 extra hours every day than check in and out three times? Those are the options.

Can you see all those places from Kanab? Yes. Should you? Probably not.

And please feel free to pick our brains. TA is a little bit of an obsession. :-)

Edited: 27 February 2012, 02:43
29. Re: family vacation to south Utah in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:40