We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

California
Level Contributor
228 posts
13 reviews
Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

Looking to take the train from Boston to New York on Sunday, March 25th towards the morning. What are our options and any suggestions? We are 2 families traveling and will each have 2 kids ages 11 & 13 with us. Staying in Boston around the Downtown Crossing area and when we arrive in New York, will be staying in the Manhattan/Theater District area. Thanks for any suggestions!

14 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,798 posts
1 review
1. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

What kind of options are you asking about?

Edited: 14 November 2017, 06:00
California
Level Contributor
228 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

Are there different types of train? Have heard there is one that is nice than another, but don't know anything about either.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
1 review
3. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

Look on Amtrak web site.

The two trains you are referring to are the Acela and the regular train (regional or whatever it's called). not many people think the Acela is worth the extra money but you can look at times and schedule to decide for yourself.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23,042 posts
729 reviews
4. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

Both trains are nice. Acela is a little nicer and has more leg room and is a bit faster, but costs more.

Boston
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

It's the Acela and the Northeast Regional. In general I think people don't think Acela is worth the extra money. I've been on the regular train to NYC and it is fine. I've been on the Acela only to Providence. It might have been a little nicer, but nothing astounding and it doesn't get to NYC much faster than the regular Northeast Regional. The cheapest way to get to NYC is by bus. Of course, not as comfortable as the train but it can be much cheaper. Takes about the same time unless there is very bad traffic.

Also, buy your train tickets as soon as you are comfortable doing so. They only get more expensive the closer you get to the travel date. They can go up quite significantly.

Edited: 14 November 2017, 09:35
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
31,361 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

You wont be far from South Station where the train originates to NYC especially staying in the Downtown Crossing area.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,645 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

There are two places to pick up the train to NYC ... South Station and Back Bay.

South Station is full service with red caps (porters) to help with bags and so on. As mentioned, it is the origination point of the train, so you have a better choice of seats and so on ...

I have ridden both the acela and hte northeast regional. Acela was sort of a bucket-list item for me. I was nice, but NOT worth the extra money. Unless you are an NBA player, the legroom on the Northeast Regional is more than sufficient. More than on a coach airplane seat and more than most buses, too.

Snackbar is not great, bring a sandwich or soemthing from South Station if you are travelinng at meal time. Buy drinks on the train.

Boston
Level Contributor
819 posts
8. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

Hi,

Given the cost, I'd check-out the buses.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
682 posts
113 reviews
9. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

We travel from Boston to NYC every year in December,

Depending where you are staying, it is an easy walk to South Station.

Coming from Australia we do quite a bit of shopping in Boston so appreciate the Red Caps taking our luggage and finding a great seat, storing our luggage etc for $20

When we arrive in NYC, it is a little more difficult...but not impossible...to get the luggage and make your way up the escalators and outside.

We used to wait in the HUGE lines for a cab but now just walk to our hotel (andaz)

I think the key is working out the cost for the journey and working out how far Penn Station is to your hotel.

Not sure how old all the members are of your two parties.

NYC is busy and crowded but manageable depending where you are heading.

The train trip from Boston to NYC is really pretty.

I love it.

Very relaxing

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
1 review
10. Re: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)

I'll second the suggestion to check out a bus option. The price difference is significant. It was $140 vs $40 round trip with a recent trip to NYC and back that I made. That'll vary and one way means you won't save as much per person but I think that's fairly typical of the difference.

The train is more pleasant but the bus is fine. Ordinarily I'd say don't take a bus if staying on schedule is important (because traffic messes that up) but that shouldn't be an issue on a Sunday in late March. There is a slight chance snow slows it down though. Very slight that time though.

The bus station in NYC is slightly closer to the theaters but not a big deal. Maybe half a mile closer.

Reply to: Train from Boston to New York (2 families)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted