We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

Methuen...
3 posts
Save Topic
Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

I live about half an hour outside of Boston and have trying to decide on a hotel in Boston for a "staycation" over Thanksgiving weekend since the prices are MUCH cheaper than normal and I could afford to stay at one of the nicer ones I usually wouldn't be able to (or for longer.) I'm mainly looking for it to be mostly relaxing with probably just leaving the hotel a few times to do some shopping and/or dinner. Therefore ideally the hotel itself would have a lot of amenities, like a pool, jacuzzi, restaurant, and the room itself be very nice. I have a chronic autoimmune disorder that makes me get tired very easily, often without it having much warning, so having most things close to the hotel would make it a lot easier.

I really like the Back Bay a lot for having a lot of options that are all close together and if the weather is bad being able to do a lot of the shopping/walking indoors throughout the connections between Copley Place and the Prudential Center. The only issue is that most of the more upscale Back Bay hotels don't have a pool or Jacuzzi. The Sheraton, Marriott and Hilton do but they lack sometimes in the Customer Service department and the rooms could be a little nicer. The hotels I can think of that have all that in the hotel are more towards downtown, like the Hyatt Regency, Intercontinental, Langham, and Boston Harbor Hotel but I don't know the downtown/waterfront area nearly as well.

Basically I'm looking for advice on the following:

1) Are there Back Bay Hotels I'm not thinking of that have these amenities and services?

2) If I stay downtown/waterfront, how much is there for options with shopping and restaurants nearby, especially on a holiday weekend?

3) Any comments about the Hyatt Regency? I like that they have a Salt Water pool and Jacuzzi, but I'm having a hard time finding much info in the way of good pictures of the rooms or the quality of customer service. I'm also thinking it could be a good compromise in that it has most of the amenities I want, is slightly cheaper than the Intercontinental, Langham, and Boston Harbor Hotel, and it's right by the orange line and 2 stops from the Back Bay station.

4) I'm open to other suggestions too. Mainly I think the only hotels that weekend that would be out of my price range are the Mandarin, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, and maybe the XV Beacon (which I'm not sure if it has a pool anyway.) I've also looked at the Revere Hotel but I've seen a lot mixed reviews, I think a lot regarding its renovations last year.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but any advice/insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, PS, I would be traveling alone and I'm an early 30s male if that helps tailor the options.

Quincy Market
Flea & Street Markets
Haymarket
Flea & Street Markets
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Shopping Malls, Points of Interest & Landmarks
8 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,557 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

I think you have covered the hotels in Back Bay with the amenities you want. I do think that given your concerns, that hotels near or attached to Copley Place and the Prudential Center are a good fit for you.

Out-of-town friends stay at the Hilton Back Bay often, and at the Boston Harbor Hotel in late-January for business each year. The Boston Harbor Hotel would meet your requirements except you would have to walk to the T and to get to nearby restaurants.

I've only been to events at the Downtown Hyatt so I know nothing of the amenities. There are quite a few restaurants nearby, and I'm sure all will be fully up and running on the holiday weekend. Maybe not on Thanksgiving itself.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

I see you already looked at XV Beacon hotel on Beacon Hill? A lovely boutique hotel with very nice rooms. They have rooms with deep whirlpool tubs. They also have one of the best steakhouses in Boston on premises; Mooo. They are also a short walk from Quincy Market and Downtown Crossing. I didn't see a lot of other hotels that had whirlpool tubs in them.

xvbeacon.com/room/contemporary-classic/

Edited: 16 November 2017, 23:31
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

Only option I can think of that you've not already covered is the Marriott Long Wharf.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

So, the Hyatt Regency is a very nice hotel, but it feels isolated and could be any hotel anywhere. The Intercon is really nice and in a more interesting area, same goes for the Boston Harbor Hotel, which would be my first choice. The Boston Harbor Hotel is also pretty close to Faneuil Hall giving you a fun place for a quick visit. The Institute of Contemporary Art is nearby too. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but certainly unique and interesting. I don't know about the amenities, but in the Back Bay, my favorite hotel is the Fairmont Copley -- it's a classic, and very nicely located to interesting places to visit -- which would include the Boston Public Library (which is a spectacular building that is often overlooked -- heck, who wants to go to the library when on vaca?) and Trinity Church, right across the street from the hotel.

LMM

Tombstone, Arizona
Level Contributor
852 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

RJ79: When we were there in the late 90's, we stayed at the Lenox. It is a great place with a good restaurant and within walking distance to The Prudential Center with all its shops and Breakfast Places. Might want to look this one over and see if it fits your $$.

MA
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

I saw a very reasonable price for the Taj. Great location for shopping and walking around. There is a bar that

serves good drinks and has a bar menu. There is also a fireplace for some ambience.

Boston
Level Contributor
115 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

My favorite one is in Cambridge but it's near enough to train to still see Quincy market and all. The Sonesta on the Charles River has a pool with a jacuzzi, great restaurant and spectacular views. It's across from the Cambridge side galleria and near the T.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30,584 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation

Omni Parker House is always a good option if the price is right.

Reply to: Choosing a Hotel in Boston for Last Minute Stay-cation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted