We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fall foliage : late september - early october

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
fall foliage : late september - early october

I'm planning a short vacation of four-five nights in Boston for next year with my family. It's not our first time in town, and this time we would like to see the fall foliage if it was possibile. Our dates are flexibles, we can spend our four-five nights between 24th September 2018 and 4th October 2018.

We don't want to rent a car, we would like to spend 2-3 days in boston and then book a one-day tour that brings us from boston to see the fall foliage. I would like to know if in the period I mentioned above we are able to see the fall foliage. I know that is impossible to predict the exact period when the leaves turn their color from green to yellow and red, but, and I ask especially to people who live in that area, compared to the previous years, if it is a good period, even if it is not the peak season? I'm worried to arrive too early and find all trees still all green.

Have you any day tour to see the foliage to suggest me? I found only this one at this moment:

https:/…d678-3978TOUR11

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
637 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,075 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
533 Reviews
from US$55.65*
12 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,644 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

That can't be a one day tour because at that early time you would have to go to Northern NH or Vermont to see color - too far for a day trip. If you want to see color in Boston, you would have to go a month or so later.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

I can sort of read Italian. It says it's a 9 hour tour, but doesn't give any specifics of where it goes other than Walden Pond. Picks up at the Park Plaza at 9:30am and returns there at 6:30pm. So I doubt it goes that far north.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

It says: "Admire the spectacular New England countryside with this panoramic tour with foliage from Boston. She takes the camera as she walks to the east in the rolling hills, to the small towns of Massachusetts and New Hampshire dotted with secular taverns, colonial churches, farms, and prairies, all featuring incredible colors of autumn. Overlooking Willard Brook State Forest and Lake Walden, explore a quaint New England restaurant nestled among picturesque landscapes and stopping at a charming farm stand with a shop and a beautiful landscape. The guide will show you how the colors change with the fall of the leaves on this tour across Boston, stopping in the quiet New England towns along the way, to allow you to take pictures of the fantastic scenery."

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

Thank you for your replies, the tour brings us in a small city in the southern part of new Hampshire, it tells that is only a seasonal tour that runs in september and october, so I thought it was possibile to see the fall foliage on late sptember and very early october. From your replies I understand that it’s too early to see it, so maybe it’s better if I give up the idea to visit Boston and I choose a northen city, so I have more oppprtunities to see the fall foliage. Thank you very much!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Level Contributor
7,240 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

It's definitely too early for foliage in the Boston area or anywhere close. Even very far north it might not be great. I was up in the Mt Washington area at the very end of September this year and the foliage was not at peak.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Mount Washington
Mount Washington
White Mountains, NH
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

Montreal might be your best option. And find a tour that goes towards Mont Tremblant. The Eastern Townships is a very nice region too but still a little early for that area based on what I saw there this year at that time. Who knows about next year though.

Not really any good options for a more Northern city in the US for this. Burlington VT does have an airport and it is a nice city but it's not really the type of city you'd probably want to spent three days sans car if you are expecting a 'city'.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Mont Tremblant
Mont Tremblant
Quebec, Canada
Eastern Townships
Eastern Townships
Quebec, Canada
Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

Thank you all for sharing your experience with me, it’s better if I change and look for Canada, maybe Quebec City, is northern and I hope to have more chances to see the fall foliage. Thank you very much!

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

yeah I think Quebec City would greatly help your chances of being close to good foliage.

I was there during peak foliage a few years ago and even right in the city looking out over the river was beautiful. Just north of there is national park Jacque Cartier. I would assume there are foliage bus tours for that but I don't know. I'm sure you have your reasons but I'd definitely suggest renting a car would be better than a bus tour is you can.

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Georgia
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

Can you come a little later, maybe 2nd week of Oct? Boston will be coming toward "peak". Mostly still green, but turning to the reds, yellows and oranges. Boston is full of trees so there will be plenty of foliage.

I hate tours, so I'm the wrong one to ask. You could take day trips via bus to COncord/Lexington/Walden Pond. OR take a train up Gloucester/Rockport/Cape Ann or Newburyport or Portland.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fall foliage : late september - early october

Unfortunately 4-5th October are the last dates I can remain in Boston, then I have to come back home in Italy. I tried to ask in Canada forum if I have more chances to see the fall foliage there in that period, but it’s hard also there, this year was very late for example. Probably I have to give up the idea to see the fall foliage and looking for other activities or things to do.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Reply to: fall foliage : late september - early october
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted