We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

I'll be in Boston from Jan 1 to 5th and looking to do a day trip at a nearby ski resort on the 2nd Jan (< 3 hour one way). A number of question:

1. Would there be decent amount of snow around that time of the year?

2. Mount Sunapee and Pats Peak seem to be decent in size, any other ski field suggestions?

3. Coach/public transport access would be preferred, though there's not much info available regarding transport options. Mount Sunapee mentioned rally bus, but the only bus slot shown available is on the 1st and 5th. Is there any other coach/transport alternatives? It seems that hiring a car would be the likely options, however not keen as I am not used to driving on the right side of the road (from Australia).

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
11 replies to this topic
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

http://www.newenglandsnowbus.com/index.html

The problem is that you are looking for a ski bus on a weekday. They will generally run only on holidays or weekends. However, the above service has one bus running to Sugarbush for a day trip on Thursday, Jan 4th.

Boston...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

Unfortunately there are not a ton of ski slopes close to Boston. How good of a skier are you? Depending on how often you ski and your ability will also help us guide you to an appropriate ski resort.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Manhattan
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

Check out Wachusett Mountain ski area, 80 mins from Boston

https://wachusett.com

Train service on weekends

https://wachusett.com/default.aspx?tabid=66

Also, there may be bus service. You can look into that.

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Wachusett Mountain Ski Area
Wachusett Mountain Ski...
192 Reviews
Princeton, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

Loon is a little far for a day trip but its awesome. Gunstock pretty good and closer.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

Thanks for the awesome advice. Unfortunately the only days I got free is 2 and 3 Jan. Wachusett looks very accessible, though seems like a smaller resort. Gunstock Mountain size seems decent, what's the public transport option available for Gunstock?

I am intermediate level snowboarder and like to explore a variety of groom runs through the day.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

Not sure about transit to Gunstock. Bus maybe? Another close option is the Blue Hills Ski Area in Canton. It's really close - like, you can Uber there. I would defer to others as to whether Wachussett or Blue Hills has better boarding - I'm guessing Wachussett.

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

I also noticed there are Ski Groups/Clubs that do day trips as well (Sunday River on the 3 Jan -http://www.bssc.com/index.cfm/pid/10235/y/0/m/0/sb/date/st/asc). Are these trustworthy or reasonably easy to join for a once off trip?

Boston...
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

If you are an intermediate snowboarder I'd stay away from Blue Hills. It is very small and as an intermediate skier I'd get bored quickly there. I went to Wachusett several years ago and enjoyed my time. It isn't large but it is larger than Blue Hills and it is accessible via commuter rail and uber to the slopes during the weekday.

I was waiting to see how your ski/snowboard experience was prior to recommending the Sunday River trip. BSSC is a well known organization. I personally have never done one of their trips (I did do a weekend trip through Social Boston Sports, a newer competitor and had a great experience) but have looked into them a few times. I have never skied Sunday River (I tend to go more often to VT than Maine) but I know it is a much larger resort and will give you a lot of boarding options. Someone else may be able to comment on how easy it is to go on a one day trip with them but I think that is your best option. It will give you the best trail selection at a large New England ski resort.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
New England
New England
United States
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

Sunday River has exceptional skiing/boarding (for New England). It's far, though. Easily 4 hours each direction, so expect it to be a very long day. We ski Sunday River a few times a year but can't commit to more because it feels like such a long drive.

Wachusett is a great day trip option. Excellent snow-making - better than many resorts in New Hampshire and Vermont. Wachusett is our go-to for a day trip when conditions are decent. They have a small terrain park.

If you can find a day trip to Okemo, that is where I would suggest for a snowboarder. It's a 3 hour trip each way, but they have 9 terrain parks and New England's longest superpipe. It's one of the few places that I've seen more boarders than skiers.

Have fun and be safe, wherever you go!

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ski day trip from Boston suggestions

When we come to NE to ski and visit we drive from Boston to the North Conway in the White Mountains in New Hampshire.

140 miles from Boston but you can ski / board at Cranmore, Attitash, Bretton Woods and many more in the area.

Plus there’s tax free shopping there too.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
New Hampshire