We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

We will be over for a week next month, flghts are booked, unfortunately with BA.

I want to be prepaired in case they strike when we are over there - if we need last minute accommodation for a night or two in Boston, where are we likely to get an OK rate for clean, comfortable accomodation? If such a thing (decent rate at late notice) exists!

Many thanks,

Matt.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

As long as you are traveling in March and not April, you shouldn't have a problem finding something. But BA will reimburse you for your out-of-pocket extraordinary expenses, so I would hope you could stay pretty much anywhere as long as you've got a credit card. If you don't have a credit card for emergencies, I kind of wonder why you are traveling overseas in the first place.

When we were stuck in London in 2006 for three days because of the BA catering strike (the "great disruption of 2006") British Airways was so unhelpful that I literally thought the BA people were acting in sympathy with the strikers. "We are asking that everyone go home." "Don't you know ANYONE in London?"

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

The question isn't about my creditworthiness, as it is though, I do have a few credit cards, but many people do not - should they not take a holiday?

I've not seen anything on the q&a on the BA site stating they would pay for accomodation. If they don't I'd rely on my travel insurance, but that only covers $309 (total, not per night) for delay due to strike.

Turning back to the question I asked in the original post - could anyone recommend where I may be able to get reasonably costed accommodation that is likely to be available on the day for 24 to 48 hours whilst we arrange to get home if the worst comes to the worst.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

If your flight is canceled because of a strike, BA will reimburse you for meals, hotel, and any alternate flight home that you can book. As much as I dislike British Airways, they are not barbarians. :-)

Normally airlines will find a hotel room for you - this happens ALL THE TIME. When we were stranded in London there were so many people stuck there, 10s of thousands, that they were completely overwhelmed, and were not very helpful, but they did reimburse me for my $6000 in out-of-pocket expenses.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Boston
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

Some of the more reasonably priced hotels in town are:

Holiday Inn Beacon Hill

Midtown Hotel

Holiday Inn Express

John Jeffries House

March is not a big tourist month here, so you may be able to get last minute rooms.

Mentioned in this post
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
2,097 Reviews
Boston, MA
John Jeffries House
John Jeffries House
485 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

You could use Hotwire.com or Priceline.com for your last minute room but it is non-refundable so I would wait and only book with them, when and if, you need a room. If you find an alternative place in advance and make a reservation make sure that you are allowed to cancel your reservation. You might even want to check with the hotel that you will be already staying at.

Edited: 25 February 2010, 23:40
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

Harborside Inn is another one. Very close to Faneuil Hall Marketplace and the T is right outside the door.

Mentioned in this post
Harborside Inn
Harborside Inn
1,552 Reviews
Boston, MA
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
6,604 Reviews
Boston, MA
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

Thanks Cabinet, Remay28 and Will007 - I've made a note of the suggestions. Hopefully won't have to use them!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

Hope you have a great trip. If you have time after your trip please write a Trip Report. We love to read them.

Enjoy!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

Matt,

click on the "right to care" link on this page:

britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb

Basically because you are flying back to the EU (presumably) you will receive accommodations from the airline unless you are otherwise already accommodated.

I vaguely recall BA distributing something about limits to what hotel accommodations they would pay for (but we really didn't have much choice in finding hotels on three different nights wandering around Heathrow). I know that they said they would pay for "same class" return flights from London to Boston if I could book them - as it turned out I literally accidentally bought first class tickets on Aer LIngus from Shannon to Boston (not having a clue how much it should cost to buy a one-way ticket from London to Boston within 24 hours of departure it didn't seem unreasonable that each ticket cost something like $1200). In any case, in the end, they paid for all our expenses.

Normally an airline will find a hotel room for you if your flight is delayed overnight but in 2006 there were simply too many people looking for rooms at Heathrow that BA didn't provide any assistance.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute hotel, but not breaking the bank?

I was also interested to learn (from googling the topic) that U.S. law does not require airlines to pay for overnight accommodations (except if you are bumped from an overnight plane) - that was a surprise to me, but according to British Airways' own site, it is an EU regulation that would require them to get you a hotel room.

It happens so often that you always have to expect it - it's like making sure you pack underwear in your carry-on luggage in case your checked luggage doesn't arrive at your destination.