We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do on partial day before airport?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
129 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
What do on partial day before airport?

I would like advice on some cool things to do, or dramatic views to take in on our last day. Family of 4 (12/15 yr old daughter's). We were in L.A. A few days, visited Disney on our way down, & have been staying at the Hotel Del Coranado since Tues night. We will have an excursion to the SD zoo & surrounding area tomorrow. We don't fly out until 3:30 on Saturday, so I thought we would check out at 9am and rent a car to return to the airport. That leaves us 4.5 hours to get in a few sites. What would you San Diego experts suggest? I've thought about La Jolla? Sunset Cliffs? Luncha Libre? Any suggestions for a fun half day are appreciated!

9 replies to this topic
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do on partial day before airport?

The farmer's market in Little Italy would be on my list of things to do on Saturday morning. They open at 8 am. La Jolla is another nice place to visit and you could go there after the farmer's market and spend a couple of hours around the La Jolla Cove and in the village.

I take it Luncha Libre is Lucha Libre Taco Shop in Washington St. On Saturdays there is usually a long line. I'm not sure if it is worth waiting. Same thing is true for the Taco Stand in La Jolla, but if you are in La Jolla, you might have some interesting Mexican food at Puesto.

Renting a car may take a while, as does returning it, so take that into consideration. Flying out at 3:30 pm means you probably would have to return the car by 2 pm at the latest.

Edited: 08 September 2017, 05:08
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do on partial day before airport?

You could visit the ship on the bayfront, visit the street fair /farmer's market in Little Italy or of course you could drive up to La Jolla and see the seals and sea lions there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do on partial day before airport?

La Jolla cove in San Diego is beautiful and you can interact with the seals and sea lion for no charge. Also you could head down by the border to Las Americas Outlets. Have fun

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do on partial day before airport?

<you can interact with the seals and sea lion for no charge>

Interacting with wild animals at the Cove is not a good idea. I see so many people who get too close to these animals. I'm not at all surprised that people get bitten by them. There are signs that say that you should stay at a respectable distance but people want to take that selfie. So please, give the animals space.

Mexicali, Mexico
Level Contributor
256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do on partial day before airport?

You might consider Old Town or a Harbor cruise.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do on partial day before airport?

John - I like the idea of a Harbor cruise - they have 2 hour ones - might be a nice way to end the vacation.

Also how about the USS Midway? If that interests you - good way to spend the morning - though as I'm writing this I don't know what time they open.

Moreno Valley...
Level Contributor
1 post
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do on partial day before airport?

I'm with John D. Old Town is a must visit that provides history and cultural shops, as well as food. But you may be also able to catch an early Trolly Bus tour.

Balboa Park is also as greet experience if you appreciate museums.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
2,907 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do on partial day before airport?

"Old Town is a must visit"

---

We think so, and my wife always insists on a visit.

d c
san diego
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do on partial day before airport?

I don't know why Lucha Libre has gotten so popular. If you like chewy, greasy burritos, I guess go for it. Long lines, mediocre ambience is what you get there. There are much better places to grab burritos. El Indio is one of my choices. I live in San Diego and I eat at El Indio a lot. Much better than Luche and it's just down the street from Luche.

Reply to: What do on partial day before airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted