We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting San Diego with a dog

Denver
Level Contributor
132 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting San Diego with a dog

My husband, goldendoodle and I will be driving from our home in Denver and renting a house in La Jolla in October. Our friend from Switzerland will be in San Diego at the same time and we would like to show him around for one day. Not familiar with San Diego, we have having a hard time figuring out how to plan a day with our friend that will be dog friendly.

What do you think of this plan?

Pick up friend at Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel ,

Lunch at Sally's Fish House on dog friendly patio (3 free hours of parking for Sally's guests)

Walk around Seaport Village

Walk around Hotel Del and car tour of Coronado Island

Drive him back to Hotel

A tour of the USS Midway would be interesting but only service dogs allowed.

Cabrillo National Monument only allows service animals. Dogs on leashes too limited.

Bernado Winery too far away from the downtown area

Can you think of any other dog friendly places which would be interesting for a European visitor?

16 replies to this topic
San Diego
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting San Diego with a dog

Good Beer - my dog is part poodle, but also part boxer - she loves playing ball at Coronado - we get so tired throwing her special beach toy out into the water for her to retrieve. She doesn't necessarily like to swim but she loves running out into the water. Plus a great way to have them cool off since the summer has been so hot!

OP - please give it a try and let us know how it went. If you go during the early morning or during the week, it is pretty chill. On weekends it can get busier. You can walk all the way on the beach over to the Naval Station - which is a nice walk. The beach is very clean and they do have life guards there - that I have heard have rescued dogs too.

Yes, always ask if a place is dog friendly. I posted the Bring Fido link for you to check out - I was just at a place on Sunday and inside the restaurant there were several dogs in the nice AC!

Also you might want to check a place like Hotel indigo or another place as many places around town have dog friendly happy hours.

Denver
Level Contributor
132 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting San Diego with a dog

My dog is very fearful, especially loud sudden noises. She definitely has the poodle brain of the goldendoodle combination. She is so food oriented that I'm always worried she will eat something dangerous. In Cannon Beach, Or, all off leash for dogs, they post signs in the hotel rooms to not let dogs eat from the beach. We will stay at the leash end of the beach. Thanks for the info.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting San Diego with a dog

Judy - you should check the rules re dogs on the beach if you are not going to be at the dog beach (North end) of the Coronado beach. I know that in Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area they ban dogs on the beach during certain hours that changes slightly with the season. I'm not sure Coronado technically allows dogs (leashed or unleashed) on the other areas of the beach.

Again, Coronado is very clean - I have never ever seen food just laying around on the dog beach. My dog is a rescue from the streets of Tijuana and trust me if there was food laying around on the ground - she'd notice it!

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting San Diego with a dog

No dogs on the beach at Coronado, leashed or unleashed EXCEPT at Dog Beach (the north end of the beach by the navy base). That's year round, any time of the day. Dogs get their space and people get theirs. Fun for all!

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting San Diego with a dog

Thanks Nado - I thought that was the rule. Hope the OP comes back to read your confirmation!

Denver
Level Contributor
132 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting San Diego with a dog

thanks for the confirmation. We'll definitely stay away from the beach. She is fearful of other dogs so wherever dogs congregate, we avoid. A designated dog beach is not for us.

Reply to: Visiting San Diego with a dog
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted