We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in December

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in December

We are deciding between a VRBO in La Jolla or a hotel in Pacific Beach or Coronado? We will have a car. We are a family of 5 (three kids, 17-23), 1st time in San Diego. We will be doing the zoo, sea world, hiking in Torrey Pines etc. It won't be true beach weather but we do love being near the water/walking on the beach in 60 degree weather. Also wondering if we will be able to paddle board/kayak or if water will be too cool? thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
36,168 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in December

La Jolla and Coronado are my favorite areas of San Diego. 🏖

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in December

All 3 areas are nice areas. Not sure how long your stay but with a family of 5 a VRBO rental might give you more room/space and a place to cook some light meals, snacks, etc.

They are all pretty much convenience to the place you want to go - obviously La Jolla is closer to Torrey Pines than Coronado and La Jolla is farther from the Zoo. Pacific Beach closest to Sea World, etc. I think it might depend on where the VRBO in La JOlla is really located. Sometimes La Jolla can mean on the other side (EAST) of the I-5 freeway, which probably isn't where I would want to stay as a tourist. I'd prefer to stay nearer a beach/La Jolla village.

Yes, water temperatures colder in December - you can still do water sports, but a wet suite would be recommended.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,895 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in December

I'd like to know where exactly these VRBOs are located?

Can you give us some cross streets?

I live in La Jolla but where I am located is not right at the ocean.

The neighborhood spreads out so if you are closer to I-5 then you are away from the ocean but it is still a perfectly fine area to stay for a family with grocery stores and restaurants.

The hotels in Pacific Beach are mostly along the oceanfront so if that's the sort of spot you want I'd take one of them. Again tell us which hotels you are considering and we can give better advice.

4. Re: Best place to stay in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 September 2017, 02:00
Edited: 15 September 2017, 02:00

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in December

thank you - I am using the map feature on VRBO so the houses are within blocks of the beach. We'd like the option of being near the beach so if we don't do a VRBO near the beach, we would choose a hotel close to the beach in either La Jolla or Coronado.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in December

thank you - that is very helpful. I think we are settling on a vrbo in La Jolla.

Reply to: Best place to stay in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted