We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economic effects of the last Shuttle Launches

Iowa
Level Contributor
233 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Economic effects of the last Shuttle Launches

After watching many shuttle launches, sadly from home, we are planning to get to the STS -133 launch on Nov 1. I see there are many closed topics of which I have many similar questions.

I see tickets for the Visitor Center viewing are available$$ ,but others on TA say no to viewing there as Jetty Park etc are better. Any ideas/viewing imput would help greatly. We are staying in Orlando 10/31-11/6 and do understand the delays /postponements in the launch process. With the 4:30 pm launch do I have to be somewhere near Titusville (others) by 7- 8am that morning? Earlier?

Thanks

I've been there (KSC) way back in '84, did the tour and became a fan and share in the sorrow of the 2 shuttle disasters.

Back to my topic, my questions are : How much will the end of this program effect these communities? Will other KSC programs continue?

Mentioned in this post
Jetty Park
Jetty Park
641 Reviews
Cape Canaveral, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Titusville
Titusville
Brevard County, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,618 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Economic effects of the last Shuttle Launches

I might also ask this on the cape canaveral forum.

Iowa
Level Contributor
233 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Economic effects of the last Shuttle Launches

Thanks, I didn't realize there was one. Will visit though.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,323 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Economic effects of the last Shuttle Launches

I hate to see this happen as it will affect so many people including the tourists as well as the locals. It is rumored that ending the program will cause about 20,000 people to lose their jobs. It affects not only the space center but restaurants, hotels, stores, etc. Some people have already transferred elsewhere if they could. Some will probably lose their homes too. It will affect all of Brevard County not just Titusville as many electronics firms located through out the county supply things to the space center.

Another rumor is that Patrick AFB will use it to send up some rockets and if they put into place the program for sending people back to the moon them there will be some jobs and rocket launches are pretty good to watch altho not as good as the shuttle it's still amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Titusville
Titusville
Brevard County, FL
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Economic effects of the last Shuttle Launches

launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing…

5. Re: Economic effects of the last Shuttle Launches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Titusville