We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midtown to Steinway Place?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Midtown to Steinway Place?

Hello- I need to get to the Steinway Factory in Queens by 10 a.m. on Tuesday to check out a few pianos for a purchase (new performing arts center soon!) We have not booked a hotel yet, but will most likely be in the theater district/Times Square area as we will do as much theater as possible.

Looking at Google Maps, suggestions are the N or R route. It looks like the R suggestion combines with a bus? Would I be better off getting out to LaGuardia and picking up a cab?

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

13 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,857 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

What is the address of the place you are going?

Input it here, with the rest of the information, and see what it says.

…mta.info/MyTrip/…TripPlanner.aspx

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,116 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

The Steinway factory is not near a subway stop ( NOR is LGA). You can take a subway ( N or W) to Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. and walk a mile (~20 mins.) or you can take a subway from Rockefeller Center to Steinway St. and connect to a bus OR you can take a taxi or Uber.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,958 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

The transit route to the factory sort of depends on your preference for walking or riding a possibly slow-ish bus and a shorter walk: https://goo.gl/maps/9Uz88KEqRZn Either route you described will work

From the end of the N/W it's a do-able slightly longer but walk from the train station past the shops through a residential area.

For either, once you cross 20th Ave towards the factory it becomes more industrial but is perfectly safe. (IMO depends on if you are schlepping luggage if you go upon arrival.)

It's an affordable cab ride from LGA, but not an area where you're likely to find one for a street-hail on the way back (unless you call a car service)

if you need some refreshment consider https://singlecut.com/ on 37th Street across from the grocery store just a couple blocks from the factory. Otherwise the area round the end of the N/W has a variety of places including some well regarded Greek restaurants and pastry shops. If you take the bus that goes up Steinway, the "Little Egypt" area is just south of the highway.

For hotels, ones near the Queensboro/Queens Plaza subway stops are worth considering - easy to the theater district and LGA (there's a bus connection to the subway) http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Edited: 15 April 2018, 04:15
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

Thank you both. The options outlined in the trip planner (thank you Lizzie!) and in your post, NYWhiz (thank you also!) are sort of what I thought. I couldn't remember the options for getting to LGA, but assumed that might be a non-starter. The others in my group are flying in and out of LGA in the same day, but I figured I should enjoy a little time in the city. :-)

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

Thank you also, Kaye. I will explore the possibilities you mention and appreciate the additional information about the area. Unless one of the pianos is the obvious choice, we may need a place to chat privately before deciding.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,958 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

P.S. If you use the N/W to Ditmars, and don't feel like walking to the factory, there are usually green Boro cabs waiting around the train station. They are legal for street hails and the same metered price as Yellow ones. nyc.gov/html/…shl_passenger.shtml

Edited: 15 April 2018, 04:24
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,116 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

The folks are I've no at LGA are bets taking a taxi.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

Thanks for the additional info about the green Boro cabs. And yes - the people arriving at LGA are planning to use a cab.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
19,958 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

If you're in an exploring mood you can walk by the Steinway Mansion a few blocks away from the factory in an otherwise industrial area. https:/…Steinway_Mansion and there are a couple blocks of row houses built as Steinway worker housing nearby too www.astorialic.org/neighborhoods/stein_p.php

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Midtown to Steinway Place?

I am hoping for good weather, as that all sounds worthy of exploring. Thank you again.

Reply to: Midtown to Steinway Place?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted