We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nyc pre-theatre prix fixe dinner near theatre district?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
nyc pre-theatre prix fixe dinner near theatre district?

In or near the theatre district, including hell's kitchen/clinton, looking for decent restaurant with prix fixe dinner not more than $40. pp. We eat all types of ethnic food-suggestions appreicated.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nyc pre-theatre prix fixe dinner near theatre district?

I'm not quite answering your question, but if you go over to 9th Ave between 42 and 60 streets (basically one block west of the western edge of the theater district) you'll find many places where you can order off the regular menu for that price (drinks excluded). This is what my wife and I do. You won't need a reservation if you get there by 6:00 PM

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nyc pre-theatre prix fixe dinner near theatre district?

Dervish

Aghan Kebab House

Uncle Nick's

Yum Yum Bangkok II

Thalia

Have you looked at the Pre Theater Dining thread in the FAQ "sticky" at the top of this forum?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nyc pre-theatre prix fixe dinner near theatre district?

thanks for the suggestions.

as for the pre theatre dining faq, reviews on yelp and chowhound suggest that many of those restaurants are mediocre at best.

this trip we will return to one of our favorites, brasserie and try pomaire.

As for lunch, Le Bonne Soup in mid-town near Moma was good value with several prixe fixed L options and another customer suggested the chinese restaurant across the street.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nyc pre-theatre prix fixe dinner near theatre district?

I went to Pomaire once and was very unimpressed.

ViceVersa is an excellent Italian in that area. They have a $35 prix fixe which I find too limiting in choices (a common problem) but you can eat off the a la carte menu for under $40/person for food.

There are lots of other Italian restaurants in the theater district with passable prix fixe dinners.

Utsav, an attractive Indian restaurant has a prix fixe for $30

http://www.utsavny.com/pdf/prefix.pdf

Saju Bistro (french) is not a fancy destination restaurant but I had an excellent prix fixe there this past winter for $28/person. Again choices limited but everything I chose was excellent. Mussels for appetizer (very large portion). My husband had the soup which he loved. We both had steak entree which was deliciious. My friend had the chicken and thought it was dry. Desserts were fine with the sorbet being the best. We had to ASK for the pre theater menu. It was not offered. (at Pomaire, we asked and were told it was no longer being offered-despite the fact it was on their website)

Becco is a popular Italian with tourists. It offers a prix fixe $21/person "all you can eat" pasta dinner. You can't choose which pasta though on that menu. They offer 3 and I usually find them tasteless and the place too loud.

Akdeniz mentioned above has a good value prix fixe

www.akdenizturkishusa.com/prefixmenu.htm

Petrossian (a bit farther from the theaters but not too far) is an elegant place with a $35 prix fixe.

www.petrossian.com/index.php…

5. Re: nyc pre-theatre prix fixe dinner near theatre district?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2009, 15:16