We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

I'm finally arriving in nyc on Thursday (can't wait!). i'd like to get my hair blow dried on Saturday afternoon either in Midtown (as that's where I'll be hanging out on Sat) or on upper west side (staying in the Belleclaire Hotel).

Can anyone recommend a hair salon? I don't need a fancy one as just getting a blow dry before night out on Sat. Would I need to make a reservation and roughly how much would it cost ( I know cost question is vague as where I'm from it can vary considerably but rough cost would be great).

Thanks in advance.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,984 posts
1. Re: Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

Google "dry bar" and "blow."

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

I think that you're looking for a personal recommendation. ; ) I am currently going to Concept Salon third Ave. between 58th and 59th. I went through severe sticker shock when I moved to NYC from WI. I've found them good and reasonable by NYC standards. http://www.conceptsalonnyc.com

Pam

Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

Sorry BrooklynBridge, don't mean to ask a question I can google, but yes I did want a recomnebdation if possible and mainly to know if I can just walk in to salobs in nyc or are appointments necessary.

I've seen salons at around $50 for wash and blow,dry, is this,what you'd expect to pay?

Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

Thank you Pamela.

Sorry for shoddy spelling, typing on my phone!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

This is a listing of salons from NYMag.com arranged by areas

http://nymag.com/srch?t=beauty_fitness&No=0&N=260+508&Ns=nyml_sort_name|0

As suggested there are places like Blow and Dry Bar where you basically walk in to have your hair washed and blown dry. And yes, expect to pay $50 for a GOOD wash and dry and add tips of 20%.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,984 posts
6. Re: Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

I was giving you the name of two specific chains of blow dry places in New York City. I haven't been myself, but I've seen them recommended by others on here.

Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

Ah sorry BrooklynBridge...not familiar with term dry bars at all here in Ireland, we just have hair salons. Great to know, thank you.

Thought you just meant 'google it instead of asking us!' Sorry, just misunderstood! Will check them out.

8. Re: Hairdressers midtown or upper west side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 13:18