We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in NYC for a month

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
staying in NYC for a month

Hey guys

My best friend and I are looking to go to NYC for a month in July 2014. I am aware of these new laws for renting peoples apartments but was wondering if anyone could recommend anything for someone staying for this amount of time? I have been looking at hotels and it seems as though I will be forking out $10,000 easily for a tiny hotel room for 28 days... if anyone has any other suggestions that would be great. And no, backpacking or sharing amenities isn't an option!

thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in NYC for a month

$10,000 over 28 days is $350+ per night....you shouldn't need to spend that in July/August.

What is your budget? Do you want 1 or 2 beds?

It is too early to see good rates for July 2014 but for that length of time an apartment-style hotel with a bit of space and even limited kitchen facilities would be a good idea. For starters have a look at the Affinia chain of hotels (www.affinia.com) - they have a number of apartment-style hotel properties in Manhattan and offer special rates for extended stays.

My bf and I stayed at the Affinia Shelburne for 7 nights earlier this year in a suite with a kitchenette. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others, it was great.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 11:52
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in NYC for a month

If you want to stay close to the action have a look at Radio City Apartments which are a stones throw from Radio City Musical Hall.

We booked them in June this year for our 10 night holiday in February 2014. We have been planning our trip for a while and had intended to stay in a standard room, but by booking so far in advance, we were able to get the penthouse for $600 less than what a standard room would have been had we booked it latter on.

We booked it on the recommendation of family who stays there every year and love it because it has a kitchen and more space than your average hotel room. We like the idea of being able to buy breakfast stuff and leave it at the hotel so we can splurge on other meals and also of there being a laundry.

If you don't mind staying a little further afield have a look at Long Island City, there are a lot of posts on here about the best two or three places to stay.

Finally, that's a long time to stay and I'm sure many places would be glad to know that they have a room booked for that long. I would not hesitate to find a couple of places and then email them and ask what they will do for your business.

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in NYC for a month

So do you think maybe it would be wiser to book further on down the track? I always assumed you would be paying less the further in advance you booked. I shall check out these places, I'm thinking that 2-3 weeks would probably be a financially smarter move.

I will have a look at the places you have all recommended

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in NYC for a month

So do you think maybe it would be wiser to book further on down the track? I always assumed you would be paying less the further in advance you booked. I shall check out these places, I'm thinking that 2-3 weeks would probably be a financially smarter move. I haven't really got a specific budget yet as I wasn't sure what sort of money I would be needing, but ideally it would be around the 5000 mark for 2-3 weeks, I would prefer to have 2 beds as well

I will have a look at the places you have all recommended

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in NYC for a month

There are places that rent by the month. What are you expecting to pay?

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in NYC for a month

Are they residents apartments though? Coz I know that's illegal now, I read it on the paper.

I have looked at the radio city apartments and they look decent for the price (approx 3500 each for 21 days) I wasn't willing to pay over 4500-5000 for accommodation

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying in NYC for a month

It's illegal to rent an apartment for less than 30 days but if you're staying for 30 days or more (you say the month of July which has 31) there are options that are not available for less than 30 days. Sutton Court Residences is one such. Their website is not accepting bookings as far away as July (therefore no way to test for price) but if you contact them, I'm sure they'd give you a price quote.

http://www.suttoncourt.com/

The Marmara Hotel is another that has different prices for a monthly stay.

marmara-manhattan.com/upper-east-side/monthl…

Affinia.com

may have monthly rates for some of their suite hotels.

www.furnishedhousing.com

is another place to check.

I think

beaconhotel.com

may have monthly rates.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying in NYC for a month

apartments2book.com is another POSSIBLE option

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: staying in NYC for a month

I'm doing a similar thing in June 2014. Find and book a refundable hotel rate for insurance while you look for other options. If you're happy in Long Island City the Country Inn & Suites has a rate for $130 a night (or $117 AAA discount) plus tax.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: staying in NYC for a month

If you're considering Long Island City, Country Inn has some one bedroom suites that would be nicer than a regular room; for a month they might give you a special price. The Vetiver does monthly rentals in studio suites with kitchen and sitting area.