We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far?

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
609 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
How far?

Spent 2 wonderfull days in Zion last year and would like to repeat, only this time to the Kolob Canyon section and hopefully Cedar Breaks as well. Looking at hotels in Cedar City which is somewhere we have not visited before so are wondering just how long it will take to drive to Kolob Canyon, taking the Visitor centre as the finishing line. Google maps quote over a hour - is this right? How about travelling time to Cedar Breaks as well?

Hope I have posted this in the right forum but many thanks for any info.

Mentioned in this post
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How far?

Cedar City to the entrance to Kolob Canyons is I-15 all the way so Google Maps will give you a good estimate. The visitor centre is very close to the interstate exit, not at the far end of the scenic road.

The roads to Cedar Breaks are slower, so I'd take Google Maps' estimate and maybe add 10% or 20%. BTW the road to Cedar Breaks can be closed by snow in winter.

Mentioned in this post
Kolob Canyons
Kolob Canyons
545 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far?

Yes, the route from Cedar City to Kolob Canyons is an easier route along the interstate. Unless you are going to do some hiking which I do not think you are, you will need only a couple of hours to see this section.

Cedar City up SR14 and over the plateau is a winding hwy with steeper grades until you reach the top. Doable, but I would add the 10-20% mentioned as well. There are also some viewpoints along the route, and plenty of quaint mountain rec areas one could explore, esp around Navajo Lake. And yes, they do not keep the south entrance into Cedar Breaks open in the winter, with an opening date roughly in May. Less snow this year, so keep tuned to their website (and park alerts) for conditions if you are travelling spring.

Mentioned in this post
Kolob Canyons
Kolob Canyons
545 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far?

An hour is ridiculous from Cedar City to the Kolob visitor center, I can be in St George in under an hour from my place way out north of Cedar City. The I15 speed limit is 80mph. (I think you put something wrong in Google Maps because it tells me 19 minutes which is probably right depending where your hotel is.)

Highway 14 is certainly slower, if you don't stop or speed maybe 45 minutes to the Cedar Breaks turnoff. But you will stop and look at some of the views. Continue along the Cedar Breaks road stopping at each overlook the take 143 back down to the valley floor through Brian Head and Parowan. From Parowan you could continue west and find your way to the Parowan Gap with great petroglyphs. Continue west from there to the Minersville Hwy (131) and turn left to take you back to Cedar City. hard to say how long that loop would take but at least 4 hours. I regularly do this loop but I stop a lot to take pictures and walk the dogs and I don't usually have any care about the time.

Mentioned in this post
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far?

Do you know about the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City?

Mentioned in this post
Utah Shakespeare Festival
Utah Shakespeare Festival
482 Reviews
Cedar City, UT
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
609 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far?

Thanks everyone.

Plenty to think about!

London, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far?

The drive from Cedar City up to Cedar Breaks is beautiful too!

Mentioned in this post
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far?

Not sure what time of year you are coming. Fall colors also are great around Cedar Breaks.

8. Re: How far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2016, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Cedar City