We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stopover from LVS to Yellowstone over 2 nights?

Singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stopover from LVS to Yellowstone over 2 nights?

Hi

I will be in LVS in December driving up to Yellowstone over 2 nights.

I'm thinking of setting off from Vegas early in the morning say 8, visit Zion National Park for 2-3 hours then drive northwards. There are 2 nights where we can break the journey and Idaho Falls will be on the 2nd night.

Any advice where will be a good stop for the first night? Shall I stop at Cedar City which is just an hour from Zion and then drive 6.5hs to Idaho Falls or, alternatively, if I drive further up north for another 2 hours which city will be best to stopver for a night?

Appreciate your kind advice.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stopover from LVS to Yellowstone over 2 nights?

Are you sure you want to go to Yellowstone in december. Can be a lot of snow with roads and accomodation closed.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stopover from LVS to Yellowstone over 2 nights?

If you are driving I-15 north from Cedar City, you'll find hotel accommodations at just about every freeway exit and in December you probably wouldn't need to make advance reservations. Larger towns with several hotel options would be Beaver, Nephi, Spanish Fork, Provo, Orem and Lehi. Once you get to the SLC valley, you have many, many options along I-15.

Just an FYI, be sure you check the weather before leaving Zion to go north. If snow is predicted, you're better off to wait it out in Cedar City. The stretch of I-15 between Beaver and Fillmore is notorious for very poor driving conditions in a snow storm.

Mentioned in this post
Provo
Provo
Wasatch Range, UT
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
CA
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stopover from LVS to Yellowstone over 2 nights?

Not sure when in December you plan this trip, but you do know that Yellowstone is only open to winter activities at this time of the year and I don't think even the winter activities start until Dec. 15.

nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/visiting-yellowst…

nps.gov/yell/…YELL_winter14-15_FINAL_web.pdf

On the other hand if you know this and plan on being there for winter actives...I'm green with envy! :)

Utahtea

Edited: 15 July 2015, 05:25
Singapore
Level Contributor
179 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stopover from LVS to Yellowstone over 2 nights?

Hi all

Thank you so much for your response.

I will be in north Yellowstone (staying at Emigrant) from 15 December onwards doing wildlife tour for a day :)

Connie appreciate your advice, I will take note of the possibility of having snowy roads, and will try not to drive too long a journey per day. Thanks for providing the information on the other cities for possible stopover.

cheers

Cedar City, Utah
Level Contributor
136 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stopover from LVS to Yellowstone over 2 nights?

Halo2,

Since you aren't going until December here is a little bit more info. If it does look like snow the drive from Zion to Cedar City will actually be much more worse than the drive from Cedar to Filmore. The black ridge area on the way from St. George to Cedar City is the worst on I15 in Utah if it is snowing. It is pretty steep and visibility can get terrible there. As far as places to stay there are a lot in Cedar and St George after that until you get to the Provo area I don't think there would be any place really great to stay even in Beaver or Nephi but you could if you had to.

Edited: 25 August 2015, 22:02
Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Provo
Provo
Wasatch Range, UT
6. Re: Where to stopover from LVS to Yellowstone over 2 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2016, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Cedar City
;