We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation

Vista, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Family vacation

Hi! We are taking a family vacation ( 3 children ages 13, 9, & 1)) to Denver from San Diego the first week of June. Our nights are scheduled in Las Vegas, Cedar City, Grand Junction, and then our destination in Denver. Any stops along the way that we should check out? We want to skip Zion and Bryce this trip. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation

Are you looking for places to just break up the day's drive or do you want to take some time to visit and stay in places like Moab (Arches/Canyonlands NP).?

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Vista, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation

I tried to split it up so we aren't rushing to each destination. We would like to check out some National Parks and do some hiking too. I have been looking at Cedar Breaks, Brian head, and Cascade Falls....for now....

Mentioned in this post
Cascade Falls
Cascade Falls
60 Reviews
Cedar City, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation

Take highway 14 from Cedar City to 89. Go north on 89 to highway 12. This will take you over the famous scenic by way to Torrey. Hike at lower Calf Creek falls. Stop at Anzasazi State Park and visit the museum. To have enough time for this you should plan an overnight in Torrey. The next day, take highway 24 east and stop at Capitol Reef NP.Hiking there as well. From there head to Moab for Arches and Canyonlands NPs. You would need at least an overnight in Moab. 2 nights is,better. Then head to Grand Junction and east to Denver. Near Grand Junction is Colorado National Monument. A good stop between GJ and Denver would be Glenwood Springs. The town of Frisco could be another stop

How much time you spend in these places is up to you. Glenwood Springs would be a good overnight.

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,569 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Colorado National Monument
Colorado National...
1,494 Reviews
Fruita, CO
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Utah
Level Contributor
174 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation

If you are going to visit Bryce Canyon at a later date, I'd skip Cedar Breaks which is IMO a mini Bryce Canyon.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family vacation

If you have time, Glenwood Springs (en route along I-70) offers all kinds of beautiful scenery and a really great hot springs pool that the family would probably like! While you're in Grand Junction, be sure and check out the Colorado National Monument (a park) as well.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado National Monument
Colorado National...
1,494 Reviews
Fruita, CO
Vista, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family vacation

Thanks! I will check those out ;) Just sitting down to finalize the plan....

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family vacation

Here is a nice guide going through the stretch of I-70 in Utah. It's actually a remarkable story and engineering feat. There are a few points of interest to stop on route.

roadtripamerica.com/GettingOutThere/Intersta…

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Reply to: Family vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cedar City