We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

minnesota
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

We have booked a cabin near Cedar City for 4 days over Thanksgiving. We would like to visit Zion, Dixie National Forest, and any area that is within a reasonable distance that time of year. Looking for some must do's and shouldn't miss. Any advice really. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dixie National Forest
Dixie National Forest
315 Reviews
Cedar City, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

It would be helpful to know where "near" Cedar City actually is, what your interests are and who is in your traveling party. Both Bryce and Zion are reasonable day trips,from the Cedar City area. So is the Kolob Canyon section of Zion NP.

Mentioned in this post
minnesota
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

The cabin is in Silver Reef. We are hikers, love waterfalls and any scenic view. We are 4 adults and 1 3 year old. We have a hiking back pack for her.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,387 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

Zions and Bryce will be mobbed got the holiday weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

From what I could determine using GoogleMaps, the only Silver Lake in Utah is actually outside of St. George UT. St. George is an hour away from Cedar City. So maybe there is another Silver Lake that doesn't show up on GoogleMaps.

Anyway, like RedRox said Zion and Bryce will be mobbed. If you do day trips there, leave early and exercise patience while there.

Snow Canyon near St. George is a popular hiking destination. There are probably other local hikes.

Waterfalls aren't common in the southern desert of Utah. But if you want to take the time to drive up highway 12 from Bryce, you could stop at Calf Creek campground and hike to falls there.

Word of caution. As you are planning your day trips, be sure that you allow plenty of time to get back to your accommodation before dark. There's a lot of wildlife and free range cattle all over southwestern Utah, particularly on the more rural roads. They can be on the roads after dark. You don't want an encounter with one of them with your car.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

Taylor Creek is a nice hike in the Kolob section of Zion. Might not be as busy as Zion Canyon. You could also check out Cedar Breaks National Monument, which is kind of like a mini-Bryce Canyon. It's at elevation though, and could have snow well before Thanksgiving. Snow Canyon SP in St. George is great. Kanarra Creek has a waterfall to hike to. You could visit the Parawon Gap Petroglyphs. If you like mountain biking, Gooseberry Mesa is one of the best trails on the planet.

Mentioned in this post
Taylor Creek
Taylor Creek
90 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Cedar Breaks National Monument
Cedar Breaks National...
1,054 Reviews
Cedar City, UT
Kanarra Creek
Kanarra Creek
89 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Mesa
Mesa
Central Arizona, AZ
Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

Silver Reef is a part of Leeds, is that where you'll be? I'll wait for your reply, if so, there is a lot to do in the area. Zion and Bryce are both doable, some very good hiking in the Red Cliffs Reserve, some in the Dixie N.F.

Mentioned in this post
minnesota
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

Yes, I is in Leeds WininZion. Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I need to find out where these are and when to do them! any restaurant suggestions would be great too, thanks!

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

Leeds has one restaurant, Papa Gus, you can check the reviews on T/A. We eat there, I've had mixed luck, my wife's food has always been good.

You're about 45 minutes to Springdale/Zion, an easy drive. Kolob Canyon section of Zion is 16 miles up I-15, very close. Bryce is about 2 hours away, several ways to go. The Dixie N.F. is right behind Silver Reef, Yant Flat is supposed to be a great hike, I haven't done it.

Red Cliffs Reserve has several THs not far away, some very good hiking. The "fee area", in Leeds, has a few trails, the one up Quail Creek is really fun!

For food, you're only a short drive to Hurricane or St George. Cedar City is a bit further and not as good for food. Just my opinion! Ask away, I'm in the area and can help with most ???.

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Thanksgiving trip staying near Cedar City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2017, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Cedar City