We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Enough For...?

Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
One Day Enough For...?

We're planning on stopping at Gettysburg for one full day before our trip to DC. Plan is to do the Visitor's Center as soon as it opens, then audio CD tour in and out of our car for the battlefield, snack, then Eisenhower house, then dinner at Dobbins House, then check into hotel at night. Is this way too rushed for a family of 4 (kids 8 and 10)? Would you make changes to that itinerary based on things a 10 year old history buff would want to see, have the stamina for? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
Eisenhower Hotel...
81 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
5 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Enough For...?

When we first brought our kids and tried the auto tour (@ very similar ages) they locked us out of the car at Little Round Top. That’s a great visit you have planned but aggressive for the auto tour. There are great Apps that could make the auto tour interactive for your kids. The tour is well marked and there are free Apps and maps to plan where you want to visit that day. It also depends on how busy the battlefield is, if you go at sunrise or sunset, you practically have the battlefield to yourself. There are guides at the Visitor Center that can join you for a price and give a personal well versed tour of the battlefield catered to your time line. I find I still use the Apps if I want to photograph a particular spot. My kids still insist the best way they ever visited the battlefield was by horseback and you can pick the length of your tour. The horseback tours invite all riders from first time to professional.

Mentioned in this post
Little Round Top
Little Round Top
423 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
112 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Enough For...?

I agree with Pesky6 about hiring a guide. You can let them know ahead of time the ages of your children, and that you would like them to tailor the tour to appeal to younger people. You would need to have room in your car for the guide - and they do the driving. A horseback tour is another great alternative - if you are all comfortable on horseback. We have done both type of tours as well as the auto audio CD tour. The apps thing sounds cool - but I haven't tried it. If you decide on the licensed guide, you need to book ahead of time, usually they want to be paid in cash, and you would meet them in the Visitors center. The Eisenhower Farm can only be toured by timed ticket, and you must take a shuttle from the Visitors center. It is worth the visit. My best advice is to check out the Visitors Center website, get the schedules for the Eisenhower Farm tours, and anything in the V.C. that you might want to include, example: the film and then the Cyclorama. I have heard that if you only have time for one - do the Cyclorama. SO, you might try something like this : Arrive at Visitors Center, purchase tickets, 1)Cyclorama 2)Eisenhower Farm 3)guided (or self guided) Battlefield tour (maybe have a light picnic lunch along) 4)A bit of historic downtown sightseeing - perhaps tour Jenny Wade house if time permits. I would suggest checking into your hotel before going to dinner though, at least to get your room assigned - I never like to leave that till last LOL. Just in case there was a unexpected problem with the reservation.

Mentioned in this post
Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
Eisenhower Hotel...
81 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,524 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day Enough For...?

We have experience with CD tour -- ok.

However, strongly consider

The Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides |

gettysburgtourguides.org/

Licensed Guide will drive your car, and we recommend an additional hour for questions.

Gettysburg experience is excellent

Mentioned in this post
Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides
Association of Licensed...
882 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day Enough For...?

You'll certainly be busy with that itinerary - but all are great things to see in Gettysburg! We recommend checking out DestinationGettysburg.com for trip ideas and travel tips. There is also a comprehensive list of Battlefield tours offered - destinationgettysburg.com/things-to-do/getty…

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,351 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day Enough For...?

For kids, I think LRT and Devil's den are the highlights so you want to get out of the car and walk around at those locations. Give the kids some advance history about how the 20th Maine held the Union flank to save the day, then walk that line and find the marker. Get the kids to imagine what it must have been like to be at the bottom of the rocks at Devil's Den with no protection from shooters above, walk the field that Pickett's troops did and imagine the Union behind the barriers in front... Touring the whole field will make everything seem very complicated. I have visited for years and I still take in the field in chunks to avoid being overwhelmed.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Union
Union
353 Reviews
Portland, ME
Reply to: One Day Enough For...?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted