We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Battlefield tour without Museum/Cyclorama

Rochester, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Battlefield tour without Museum/Cyclorama

I'm passing through Gettysburg on a trip to Washington DC, and booked a battlefield tour, but there are six of us and I don't want to spend $60 on the museum after spend $60+ on a tour. We have very little knowledge about the civil war in general and Gettysburg in particular, and I'm afraid that not visiting the museum and seeing the movie/cyclorama is going to make the tour less enjoyable.

Anybody else skip the museum, and just do the tour?

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
5 replies to this topic
Upstate NY
Level Contributor
110 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Battlefield tour without Museum/Cyclorama

Did you book the private tour? If you have a tour booked with a licensed guide in your own car you simply let them know ahead of time that you would like them to tailor the tour to people who don't have a lot of knowledge of Gettysburg, and also if you want the tour more focused on Gettysburg or the Civil War in general or a balance. The guides undergo very intensive training, and are very knowledgeable. Submit any specific questions ahead of time so they can prepare for your tour. If you book the private licensed guide, they drive your car - so there needs to be adequate room. I have been to Gettysburg nine times, and going back next month. This time I may finally get around to seeing the film and the Cyclorama LOL. So to answer your question - it shouldn't make the tour less enjoyable. And the guides like to answer questions as you go!

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Battlefield tour without Museum/Cyclorama

ParlorCity

Great answer.

We highly recommend

The Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides |

gettysburgtourguides.org/

Licensed Guide will drive your car, and we recommend an additional hour for questions.

For your group, the extra hour is added value.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides
Association of Licensed...
848 Reviews
Gettysburg, PA
conn
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Battlefield tour without Museum/Cyclorama

You might want to do a tour with a licensed guide

Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Battlefield tour without Museum/Cyclorama

The Museum & Visitor Center is a wonderful addition to any trip to Gettysburg; however, if you can't do it this time around you will certainly still find a Battlefield tour enjoyable. If you book a private tour with a Licensed Battlefield Guide (destinationgettysburg.com/members/associatio…), they can tailor the tour based off of your existing knowledge. All of Gettysburg's tour guides are happy to answer questions and take a step back to explain something you may want some extra details on. Enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,313 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Battlefield tour without Museum/Cyclorama

One obvious answer is to watch the Gettysburg movie at a minimum before visiting or read one of the many, many excellent books on the battle. No reason you should visit without some basic knowledge about little round top, devil's den, peach orchard, seminary ridge. Baseball fans?? learn about Abner Doubleday at gettysburg?

Personally, on a nice day, much as the visitors center has to offer, I want to get outside...

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Reply to: Battlefield tour without Museum/Cyclorama
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted