We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anniversary visit

Highland, Indiana
Level Contributor
74 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
anniversary visit

I've been to Gettysburg many many times but never during the anniversary in July. How busy is it really? Possibly compared 2 Remembrance Day

4 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anniversary visit

Strongly recommend Dinner reservations.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,350 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anniversary visit

There are 2 busy areas. The battle field area and the re enactment area. Traffic is busy but I love the reenactments. Dinner reservation is good idea or take a short ride to Westminster or Frederick for some very food restaurants (reservations still good idea)

Mentioned in this post
Frederick
Frederick
Maryland
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: anniversary visit

Town tends to be busier during the anniversary than it is during Remembrance Day. However, people are often spread out among the various activities going on that week. It's well worth the visit to attend these special events! This year, you can attend special programming for the anniversary of the battle July 1-3, stay in town for the 4th of July Community Concert & Fireworks, and then check out the Reenactment July 5-8. Here is an events calendar with everything going on that week - https://bit.ly/2M4JFGO. Enjoy your time spent in Gettysburg!

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anniversary visit

Just a quick update on this. I had errands to run in town today and crossed Gettysburg twice, even did lunch at Montezuma's. The traffic was not bad--in fact, it was less crowded than most weekends. I went to one of the observation towers to take some pictures of cloud formations and we even drove through the Spangler's Spring area in the evening.

Now, the reenactment doesn't start until July 5, but I thought it might be useful for people to know that July 1-3 can be totally workable.

Hope you had a great time if you decided to come!

Mentioned in this post
Gettysburg
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
Reply to: anniversary visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted