We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are bike tours available to Fort Stevens from downtown?

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Are bike tours available to Fort Stevens from downtown?

Hi all - we will be visiting Astoria from a cruise ship in May. We'd love to do an active tour. Bike riding to Fort Stevens.

I have not been able to find bike tour operators via a web search. Are any available?

Thanks.

Vic

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Are bike tours available to Fort Stevens from downtown?

So, sort of two issues at play:

If you found one, May is early for regular seasonal tours. A lot of that stuff starts after Memorial Day- May (and June) is often wait and see weather on the coast.

But the second, larger issue:

I'm not sure I'd want to ride from Astoria to fort Stevens, and I would not be surprised to find out that there are no bike tours. 101 is a fairly narrow road. I'm an avid biker, but I don't ride it because it gets so congested during high season. There aren't separated lanes, and there is not enough shoulder usually to make me feel safe. I've ridden around fort Stevens, but not on 101 near fort Stevens for any length of time.

You could rent bikes and ride? People do ride it, theee are some biking clubs that have ridden all the way down the coast. I just think it's pretty unlikely that the town would encourage bike tours on 101.

I've ridden in Astoria- I like the river walk- and a good alternative would be this:

www.commodoreastoria.com/24hoursbikebeer/

You could of course rent a car and go to fort Stevens, but I'm assuming you have limited time and I'd just enjoy Astoria. I like to visit the Peter Iredale, and I'll camp there (it's a decent state Campground) but it's not really one of the most interesting state parks in Oregon.

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
2. Re: Are bike tours available to Fort Stevens from downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2018, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Astoria