We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Google Maps says 35 minutes. My current plan is to spend two nights in Astoria and incorporate a visit to Ecola Park/Cannon Beach in one of them. This gives me the option to visit the Maritime Museum if the weather is less stellar.

Since we will be going south along the coast, it would make sense to take the second night in Cannon Beach if the towns are further apart. For half an hour driving distance, I'd rather stay in the same motel for two nights then move.

Question is, is this really about half an hour, not taking into account stops on the way, of course.

Level Contributor
35,969 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Yes, Cannon Beach to Astoria is right about 30 minutes. It is a very easy day trip from Cannon Beach. A nice stop would be in Warrenton at Fort Stevens State Park. The Wreck of the Peter Iredale is there. Enjoy your time on the Oregon Coast! :)

Edited: 11 October 2010, 00:35
Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Thank you for the quick reply! We'd also like to visit the Maritime museum and the Astoria Column, as well as seeing Fort Stevens in-depth, which is why I was thinking about staying in Astoria and making Cannon Beach a day trip. Does that make sense?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

In reality, you would be better served to stay in Cannon Beach because it would be a bit easier to travel about, both north and south, from there, but if you have your heart set on Astoira, go for it!! Either way, the drive is easy and not worth the hassle of changing hotels.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

I agree with the idea to spend both nights in the same place, but I'd rather it be in Cannon Beach, thinking the weather will be fine, and do the drive to Astoria in the event that it isn't. And I think your kids would too, since there's not that much to keep them entertained in Astoria. They'll be happy just hanging on the beach in Cannon Beach.

Google Maps is generally accurate as to drive time. There have been times when I've been hung up going through Seaside, especially during busy summer weekends, but the delay has never been for more than 10-15 minutes.

Edited: 11 October 2010, 02:24
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,028 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

I use Mapquest most of the time, which says 40 minutes, which is probably more acurate in summer since you have to plow through Seaside congestion. But yes, somewhere in that time frame is correct.

I tend to agree with the above posters about Cannon Beach for you. I enjoy Astoria, don't get me wrong, but for kids I'd try to get a beachfront or near beachfront hotel in Cannon Beach. The two towns are dramatically different. I'd also pick one spot for your two nights.

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Hmmm, looks like everyone prefers Cannon Beach. I'd like to hear more as to why, because it seems to me that Astoria has several attractions, while Cannon Beach has, well... the beach? I mean, I did some reading and I totally get the beauty of the beach and the tide pooling - but that would be during low tide, right? What would we do in Cannon Beach during the rest of the time?

Just to add some context, we will have by then, spent 4 days in Olympic NP, with at least 2-3 visits to the beaches there, and we have three more days planned in Newport. My kids are great museum buffs, so while I am 100% sure the beach will be a thrill, I wonder if Astoria doesn't offer more for us to do and see?

I'm thinking -

Maritime Museum - 4 hours

Fort Stevens - 6 hours (we'd be doing the guided tours too)

Astoria Column - 1 hour

Can't really squeeze it into a day tour... While Cannon Beach has Ecola Park, right? Tide pools, views, whale watching (hopefully!) and...? anything I missed?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Four hours is a lot for the Maritime Museum....and I'm an enthusiast.

Level Contributor
35,969 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

I would schedule around 2 hours give or take for the Maritime Museum. You could ride the riverfront trolley if it's running when you are there. It's a nice ride and you can catch it right in front of the Museum. If you like fish and chips, go across the street to The Bowpicker, they have really good Albacore Tuna fish and chips. www.oldoregon.com for more info on Astoria. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

Sounds like you might be better based in Astoria for what you are planning- I do like Astoria- and since it sounds like you might be 'beached out' by then(although I think thats impossible! :)) and your kids like muesums.. which Astoira has alot of. Just so you know beaches in Oregon are totaly different that Olympic National Park- they are much more wide and sandy instead of rocky/pebble beaches.

I think your planning time is good- I think I probably spent 3 hours at the Maritime museum-and felt like I didnt see it all, but I really like maritime history... glad you are going to Ft Stevens- that should be fun.

Cannon Beach much more 'arty' and more geared towards tourists while Astoria is still a working port town and not on the beach-which is why tourists tend to go to Cannon Beach-but sounds like you may have had that expeirence already depending on what towns you stayed at in ONP..

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Times between Astoria and Cannon Beach?

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with Astoria!! I was born there and still spend a fair amount of time there. I LOVE the town!

The BIGGEST difference, though there are several, is that Cannon Beach is on the beach, whereas it is a 20 minute drive to get to the beach from Astoria proper. I think that is why most people here are recommending you stay in Cannon Beach over Astoria.

Get answers to your questions about Astoria